The "What Did you Get for Christmas 2007" Thread

...since it's off topic...I broke Rock Band last night :( snapped the poor bass pedal in two... /cry

Updated List:

Gift Cert to Hobby Lobby (woot!)
Cash and candy from the parents and in-laws (double-woot!)
Earrings and a Bracelet
A wobbly salt-and-pepper shaker set
Gifts Certs to Melting Pot and Olive Garden
A set of Bose Noise-Canceling Headphones
DVDs: Xanadu, Hairspray (the original), Hairspray (the new one), Return to Oz, Labrynth (sp?)
A Flowbee (LOL)
A set of interchangeable knitting needles and some textile arts books
A set of Bare Minerals makeup (or as I say it, "bay-urh men-er-uhls")

how do you like the zune? an 80?
aye, it's an 80, and I like it fairly well. The reason I went with it, is because I wanted more space than the iPod touch, but a bigger screen than the iPod. I download a decent amount of fansubs, so I wanted to be able to watch them on my lunch break, which this does well. Oddly, I've found it plays DIVX encoded videos better than WMV encoded ones.

yeah its divx compatible and the zune is a better option for that stuff

I download a decent amount of fansubs, so I wanted to be able to watch them on my lunch break, which this does well. Oddly, I've found it plays DIVX encoded videos better than WMV encoded ones.
A Zune, eh?

/me strokes beard sagely

Then again, I could use my Siemens SX66 to watch fansubs, as long as the codec doesn't require a beefy processor. Maybe I should just splurge and buy a real screen protector for my SX66 (which, by the way, came used as a gift from a friend when she upgraded to a Palm Treo) instead.

A Zune, eh?

/me strokes beard sagely

Then again, I could use my Siemens SX66 to watch fansubs, as long as the codec doesn't require a beefy processor. Maybe I should just splurge and buy a real screen protector for my SX66 (which, by the way, came used as a gift from a friend when she upgraded to a Palm Treo) instead.
Aye, a Zune. I had considered an windows-based PDA, but worried about the hassles of constantly having to switch out anime's. The Zune's 80gigs trumps the small amount of space on most pda's. Including the ipod touch's 8gigs.

i think their seksier than most video players not associated with apple or MS

Aye, a Zune. I had considered an windows-based PDA, but worried about the hassles of constantly having to switch out anime's. The Zune's 80gigs trumps the small amount of space on most pda's. Including the ipod touch's 8gigs.
I admit that mobile fansubs would be quite nice.

Does the Zune play nicely with newer codecs? Like .MKV and H264?

I admit that mobile fansubs would be quite nice.

Does the Zune play nicely with newer codecs? Like .MKV and H264?
I download MKV's and H264's which I then convert into the DIVX format for the Zune (I found this nice little freeware tool, which I don't have the link for here at work).

There was a project to add MKV/H264 native support to the Zune, but that was for version 1, and is defunct these days.

I download MKV's and H264's which I then convert into the DIVX format for the Zune (I found this nice little freeware tool, which I don't have the link for here at work).

There was a project to add MKV/H264 native support to the Zune, but that was for version 1, and is defunct these days.
:(

How long does it take to convert a .MKV to XviD or DivX? Is there any or significant quality loss?

Video conversion usually takes a hefty amount of time. I know because I've converted a few fansubs to XviD to play on my Philips DVP642 (60 of the best dollars my wife and I ever spent, by the way).

Still, there are enough releases in XviD format that I might keep an eye out for Zunes on my local craigslist.

:(

How long does it take to convert a .MKV to XviD or DivX? Is there any or significant quality loss?

Video conversion usually takes a hefty amount of time. I know because I've converted a few fansubs to XviD to play on my Philips DVP642 (60 of the best dollars my wife and I ever spent, by the way).

Still, there are enough releases in XviD format that I might keep an eye out for Zunes on my local craigslist.
The tool I used optimized the conversion for the Zune (it also optimizes for the PSP & the iPOD as well as a few others). There are a whole host of settings, but I maxed them out, getting the most fps & highest quality. It is a tad small, and sometimes the translator's notes are hard to read (as they're small in the first place) but I've yet to have trouble reading any of the normal conversation text. Now, I expect if I tried a show with lots of text, such as Sayanora Zetsubi Sensai

And the video conversion does take a decent amount of time, but it's not overly excessive. I set Kanon to conversion when I went to bed one night (~12:30am) and it was done and ready for syncing after I got my shower the next morning (~7am).

Actually, converting to use for the Zune takes less time than the tool I have to burn it onto a DVD for playing on my regular DVD player - and the quality is better as well.

Back