Too much profanity?

the legality of distribution (at least in the U.S.) is dependent upon the purpose of the modifications. Unfortunately, editing out foul language is not enough to keep you from being jumped upon by the copyright fanatics out there.

That said, I don't see Valve getting highly upset about the distribution of a new sound pack. After all, they provide tools as a matter of routine to allow users to upgrade and update sounds, models, maps, textures and various other sundries of the games which they produce.

I would check with sites that specialize with L4D customizations, and see if they support the distribution of new soundpacks.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be easier to create a small program to replace the sound files automatically. That way I would only be distributing my own creation. My only hesitation is the sheer number of files needing to be replaced (over 600 if my count is correct).

Edit: I think I'll run some tests (gonna have to dust off the c++ area of my memory - hasn't been used in years). It may require a lot of repetitive work with the 600 files, but if I can avoid legal entanglements it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Basic program structure is done. As it stands now, it must be placed in the proper folder to run - I may change that in the future (if I can figure out how to tap into the registry).

Now all I have to do is populate a two-dimensional array with the filename to be replaced and the replacing filename. I can't tell you how long that will take. . .unfortunately, I'll have to go back through all 600+ sound files I replaced to determine what I replaced with what. Oh the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. . .

As it stands, the basic .exe file is at 447KB. Adding 600 lines I wouldn't expect it to raise it much more than 1MB - maybe 2MB.

Edit: Heh, 835 files. . .at least I don't have to run through all the files to find just the ones with profanity in them.

Last edited:
It seems you can for Cod4. Don't know about valve games though, they have weird rules governing them. A guy over at ISI made a clean cod4 sound modification. That doesn't mean doing stuff like this is legal though.

Last edited:
It seems you can for Cod4. Don't know about valve games though, they have weird rules governing them. A guy over at ISI made a clean cod4 sound modification. That doesn't mean doing stuff like this is legal though.
I can't find the license agreement anywhere on the web. I'll have to check my copy of the game when I get a chance.

From the Steam (Valve) Subscriber Agreement:

C. Source SDK.

Your Subscription(s) may contain access to the Valve software development kit (the "SDK") for the computer game engine used in Half-Life 2 and other compatible Valve products (the "Source Engine"). You may use, reproduce and modify the SDK on a non-commercial basis solely to develop a modified game (a "Mod") for Half-Life 2 or other Valve products compatible with and using the Source Engine. You may reproduce and distribute the Mod in object code form, solely to licensed end users of Half-Life 2 or other compatible Valve products, provided that the Mod is made publicly available and distributed without charge on a non-commercial basis

From the Developer Wiki:

The Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools, also known as an SDK, is a set of software utilities that allow you to create your own levels, campaigns, common Infected, and other gameplay elements. They include versions of Source SDK tools that have been updated to work with the Left 4 Dead version of the Source Engine.

Based on these two statements and the fact that I can find nothing else that says you cannot modify the sounds (or any other files), I am running on the assumption that what I have done is legal. I still want to see if I can find an agreement for L4D2 when I get a chance.

Great work, Patriot! I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Hopefully, I can have a vpk put together for testing on Saturday (tomorrow). My download speed is somewhat slow on my home computer and I limit my time on it for the sake of my wife (who likes to spend time with me) and son.

I need to download a sample file that Tek7 managed to find for me from another forum (100+ MB). And then download the L4D2 SDK as well as GFScape. . .Once I have these items I don't expect it should be too difficult to match the structure of the sample file. If I can sneak it in, I'll try to start one of the downloads tonight.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but I look forward to some of this testing.

Tek7 has graciously helped test the first rendition. Caught at least one error. I have pre-release version 0.2 up on my skydrive if anyone wants to help test (I believe you need a Windows Live, aka HotMail, account to access the public area of a skydrive). All I ask is that you actually own L4D2 if you download the vpk since it contains Valve created content.

http://cid-e936cddc0ccfa026.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L4D2

Instructions:
Download the .7z file
Unzip the .7z file with 7-zip
You should be able to double-click on the vpk to install it or you can manually move it to your L4D2 addons folder (left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\addons).
Enter the game
Go to Extras->Addons and ensure that Profanity Filter v0.2 is selected
Test to see if profanity is removed (taunts from the radial menus are a good way to test)

If it doesn't appear to be working try the following:
Open console and type snd_rebuildaudiocache
Wait for the bar to finish traveling across the screen (took 10-15 minutes for me)
You will probably have to force quit L4D2 as both Tek7 and I had this problem (reached the end of the loading bar and then stopped doing anything).

I'm making no guarantees with this add-on. It is entirely possible that I missed some sound file somewhere (I changed over 800 of them). I know at least one sound is a little weird (hit Ellis with a melee weapon and he says that those bullets hurt - must have copied the wrong file. . .). Also, much of the story dialog has been wiped out (due to language), so if you are looking to listen to the story then this is not the add-on for you.

Please let me know if you find any sound files that were missed (character, action; ie: Nick, standing in spit spewing profanities) or let me know if it won't install for you. I can only provide limited support (I'm new to this whole process), but I will do what I can. Also, let me know if it is working well for you.

Once it is approved by you as testers, I'll see if I can find a real place to post the addon.

0.2 has been removed. 0.3 is now in its place (same link as above). I had missed some of Ellis' files. Up to 844 sound files replaced.

I sent an email to Valve in hopes of clarifying the legality of distributing a vpk with their content in it. I'm not sure whether to expect a response or not. I certainly don't expect one today as it is Sunday.

Just downloaded and installed version 0.3 of the Profanity Filter sound pack. Planning to test it later tonight in Versus if we can get enough people together.

I've been running 0.3 since the 14th and haven't noticed anything. Of course, that is only a total of about 6 hours of testing across the 2 weeks. Is anyone else using it, and if so have they noticed anything I may have missed?

I've been running 0.3 since the 14th and haven't noticed anything. Of course, that is only a total of about 6 hours of testing across the 2 weeks. Is anyone else using it, and if so have they noticed anything I may have missed?
I've been using version 0.3 for the last 2 weeks and haven't noticed any profanity.

I think the pack is ready for an official public release!

I've been following this thread with some interest. Great work, Patriot, et al!
All credit goes to Patriot. A few people helped test, but Patriot invested hours of work into creating the audio pack.

Huzzah, Patriot!

Thanks. Tek did find an important example of how to create a vpk that was instrumental. And I would have done the work whether I released it or not, as I was personally tired of listening to the bots cussing.

I'm still looking into posting it on l4dmods. Steam never responded to my email (big surprise) so I'm kinda left on my own as to the legality. But if someone can post the old L4D maps (modified for L4D2) without any repercussions I don't think it will be a problem.

I could always release a "sanitized" version that merely replaces all the offending sound files with blank sound files. Then I would only be distributing blank sound files (no legal issues at all). The only issue with that is there would be considerably less actor generated speaking in the game (some of which increases situational awareness).

I could always release a "sanitized" version that merely replaces all the offending sound files with blank sound files. Then I would only be distributing blank sound files (no legal issues at all). The only issue with that is there would be considerably less actor generated speaking in the game (some of which increases situational awareness).

Ahhh just get the guys to record custom sounds. Helpful guy that I am I can scream "my nibblies! MY NIBBLIES!" if you need it. I also do a mean "pills here!" :p

Thanks for the efforts to cleanse the game. Way too much vulgarity out there nowadays.

Last edited:
just get Elihu to record "Ahhh, palmolive!" for being vomited or spit on.

Back