Tribe of Judah accepting donations for next dedicated server hosting account

Shagz said:
So, if a person's Pay Pal account was config to draw from a personal bank account, then ToJ can receive donations no prob. But if ToJ wants to be able to receive donations from people who have their PayPal account tied into a credit card (like myself), then they'll have to upgrade, which we're not about to do any time in the near future. Correct?
I believe that's correct.

While I am out of town this week, I will not be able to check the donations AT toj DOT cc e-mail and Paypal accounts. If you donate between now and August 17, please do not take offense at my silence. :) I will send a reply as soon after I return home as possible.

Tek7 said:
Certainly. You can donate as often as you'd like. :)

I think he meant can we pay by the month, to the server company. I would think not, because we are getting a better price for paying for 6 months/or a year? Or is the server company make you prepay?

Pilgrim said:
I think he meant can we pay by the month, to the server company.
The server expenses will be paid using a debit card linked to the bank account (which is, in turn, linked to the Tribe of Judah Paypal account). I don't believe the Personal Paypal account provides a monthly "reminder" for donations, so it would be left to each member to donate regularly.

I would think not, because we are getting a better price for paying for 6 months/or a year? Or is the server company make you prepay?
The server company isn't making us pre-pay, but I refuse to bring the server online until we have at least six months covered. We were originally planning to collect donations to cover a full year of hosting before opening the account.

There are two reasons I won't open the account with 1&1 until we've collected enough donations to cover the setup fee and six months of hosting:

1. In the past, member donations have not been consistent enough to cover monthly hosting expenses. This is why I decided it would be wiser to court corporate sponsors than rely solely on member donations to keep the server online. Mr. Slice, as ToJ's Fundraising Manager, is compiling advertising sales materials in hopes of "wooing" sponsors to spend a regular monthly amount for advertising on our game servers.

2. 1&1 requires a setup fee of $99. If we were to take the server offline due to insufficient funds, we would need to pay that $99 fee again--not to mention the hours and hours of work that goes into setting up multiple game servers.

September 5, 2005 Update

At the time of this post, the balance of the Tribe of Judah Paypal account is $291.30 USD. Tribe of Judah members must raise an additional $521.70 USD before bringing our servers back online and keep them running for six months.

BeLoVeD said:
we really need to push this harder to get them back up... servers are big in bringing in "new blood"
I agree that servers are important for the community, but I'm always cautious to walk the fine line between doing too little and doing too much. If I don't post updates and remind members of our need, then most would not be aware of the need. If I solicit donations too aggressively, then I risk alienating our members. It's an awkward situation.

Most Tribe of Judah members who would play on the servers we've run previously (Counter-Strke, Counter-Strike: Source, Natural Selection, Unreal Tournament 2004, Day of Defeat) are younger than the average member age and have less income than our older members. Adult gamers tend toward MMO (massively multiplayer online) games such as World of Warcraft and Dark Age of Camelot. They pay monthly fees for their subscription to the game, but the game developer handles the servers.

So while I agree more could be done without "rattling the tin cup," I have to proceed with caution. I have a few ideas, but my schedule won't allow for any new projects right now. If you're interested in helping, then send an e-mail to tek7 AT toj DOT cc and I'll type out a rough sketch of my ideas and send it your way as my schedule allows.

September 22, 2005 Update

Tribe of Judah has received a donation for $25 USD, bringing our total to $316.30 USD. That means we need an additional $496.70 USD to bring our servers online and keep them online for six months.

Thanks again to all who've donated! If you're interested in donating and helping bring our servers back online, click here for more information on how you can support Tribe of Judah.

November 21, 2005 Update

Tribe of Judah has received two donations, one for $25 USD and one for $15 USD, bringing our total to $356.30 USD. That means we need an additional $456.70 USD to bring our servers online and keep them online for six months.

What games will be hosted on the server when it comes online? How does this get decided? I keep seeing talk about getting the servers back online but I haven't seen anything about what games would be hosted on them. I think that if we decide what games will be hosted, it will give ToJ members more incentive to donate.

astrod00d said:
What games will be hosted on the server when it comes online? How does this get decided?
It's decided largely on what games are most popular among the members of Tribe of Judah at the time. CPU and RAM requirements for each server instance are considered. For example: If we could host three servers for three different games or one server for another game, we'd likely go with the three servers.

Back