Trillian

Que Pasa

Is anyone else getting an annoying popup from trillian, or any other IM client that is telling you that you are exposed to popup ads and it's a security risk. Frankly I'm quite annoyed by it, and I don't think theres much of a security risk involved, more of an annoyance risk. I'd rather fix it with a setting than download their software and install it, because like a syringe at woodstock, who knows where thats been?

Hmmm...a popup to tell you about popups. That sounds REAL annoying.

I haven't seen anything like that with Yahoo! But I don't use it all that often, either.

Don't you just want to...do something to people who make those kind of ads possible?

Que Pasa, I know I've mentioned your avatar before...have you replied about it yet? If so, I've missed...

All you ahve to do, to my knowledge, is have your browser somehow disallow target=_blank commands in the HTML. But then, there are java-based launchers as well.

It has something to do with MSN messenger. I don't think it's trillian's version of MSN messenger, I think it's windows XP's built in version. gg M$

it's the messenger service that powers MSN messenger in winxp. they basically created a back door into the os that's default open to the internet for their messaging service, and certain "ad" companies have decided to send your browser information through it, since the OS detects the incoming http info, it runs it (since the backbone of windows file system is explorer) which pops up those annoying windows

unfortunately turning off the messenger service is nigh impossible and if you do manage it, some programs won't work properly, and that's not limited to just the MSN Messenger app.

really bright move on their part as you can see..

Trillian winXP here, no probs. Actually somebody sent me a popup virus via yahoo, but it only brought it up once. It better not happen again, or I shall have to go on a rampage
mad.gif

guys, if you READ THE FIRST LINK

the popups spawn from Windows MEssenger service, different from the program. the service was used as a utility for network admins to send messages to all computers in a workgroup, etc.

most computers do not need this, however, and ad companies are now using this to advertise.

IT ALSO TELLS YOU HOW TO DISABLE THE SERVICE, WHICH YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED!

here:

Go to
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

now, scroll down to "Messenger", and double click on it. Make sure it's only "Messenger" - nothing else.
Now, when you double-click on it, in the first screen that shows up, click the button 2/3 of the way down labeled "STOP", and let it stop. To keep it from ever starting again, in the drop-down list halfway down the window titled STARTUP TYPE, select DISABLED.

there.

man, sometimes I'm amazed.
tounge.gif

Back