TrinityChat

Kagnus

(Seems I am unable to edit the original message in the TrinityUI thread /shrug)

TrinityChat is an addon that you can use to take control of your chat. The primary features are the ability to filter messages as desired and the ability to create and manage "private" channels, such as the alliancesga channel.

The latest version is a large rewrite so that filters can be applied to individual channels. What this means is that you can have two acronym filters, each one being applied as desired. For example, you can have an acronym filter for the soon to be returned LFG channel which will filter "st" into "Sunken Temple" but also have a filter for battlegrounds chat that will filter "st" into "stables" for an arathi basin fight.

Due to these changes, the complexity of configuration has increased, but with complexity comes flexibility :D Also any and all saved variables, global and per character, need to be deleted if previous versions were used.

These TWO files can be found:

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<account name>\SavedVariables\TrinityChat.lua

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<account name>\Terenas\<character name>\SavedVariables\TrinityChat.lua

Currently join/leave notifications are still in the works.

TrinityChatSS2.jpg

Download latest beta here

Last edited:
For those not using this...it is simply awesome! Great work indeed! I did not recieve a single gold spam tell (my wife not running this did). The filter works well enough to cut down on the kids that don't know how to spell. Awesome, simply awesome.

For those not using this...it is simply awesome! Great work indeed! I did not recieve a single gold spam tell (my wife not running this did). The filter works well enough to cut down on the kids that don't know how to spell. Awesome, simply awesome.

Woot! great to hear feedback :D

And updated again with some more bug fixes :)

So far the only public Trinity addon is TrinityBars, which is a decent bar addon that is in need of a long awaited update.

The one here is TrinityChat which allows you to take control of many aspects of your chat.

The others are not release as I am still working on them :)

Last edited:
Connor, I still have problems linking anything to a public channel. It gives me a particular error. Next time I am on I will mail it to you. This is not a problem with guild chat or whisper, just puloc channels such as trade.

Connor, I still have problems linking anything to a public channel. It gives me a particular error. Next time I am on I will mail it to you. This is not a problem with guild chat or whisper, just puloc channels such as trade.

In the first post I explained where both saved variables files are. If you do a fresh install with both of those files deleted, do you still get the error? This being a beta version, I still have to adjust the saved info as I make improvements and bug fixes, and saved info from a previous version could indeed be causing that error.

As far as the this error specifically, when the error pops up it will usually tell you the file name and the line number of the error, that is all I need to figure out where the problem is.

Updated with a near release-candidate version. All features should be working and recent bugs should be fixed.

Since this is a beta version, I highly recommend deleting all TrinityChat.lua saved variables files found. I cannot guarantee a bug free experience especially when old saved data is not removed :D

Once TrinityChat is release quality, deleting saved variables with updates will not be needed.

(Global Saved File)
World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<account name>\SavedVariables\TrinityChat.lua

(Per Character Saved Files, delete for EACH character)
World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<account name>\Terenas\<character name>\SavedVariables\TrinityChat.lua

Latest screenshot of the options gui
TrinityChatOptions.jpg

Last edited:
Minor update uploaded, if the previous update was installed and variables were wiped, no reset is needed for this update.

Too bad it works so well that it cuts out all of my whispers to you *Get your Gold now!!!*

I really have no *only $10.99 for 250G AMAZING DEAL* idea why you never respond.

Oh and Matt, didn't you know that caps are cruise control for being cool. See, when I talk this it's just so vanilla. BUT THIS! WOW THIS IS SOME EXCITING TALK, NO? JUST GETS YOUR HEART PUMPING!!! WOOT!

Seriously though, this is a great addon. Just started playing around with it yesterday. The ability to grow the size of your chat window alone is awesome.

I did manage to get one error last night, sadly I didn't write down the error message. Do you want me to post error messages here in the future, or just mail you the error message in game?

I am probably just not getting something basic, but I am afraid I don't quite understand how I am supposed to setup the spam filter. Is it supposed to be working by default? If not, is there something I can read on how to set it up? Maybe an example somewhere?

This later version changed how the filters work. Instead of turning a filter on and filtering every single channel, you now have to enable filters for each channel. A bit more involved but allows for greater flexibility, as it is really hard to develop a universal filter that is not severely limited.

The most common gold spam is in whispers, so what you need to do is use the the top-left dropdown to select the whisper channel, then enable the gold spam filter for it. Repeat for any other channel you wish, though the gold spam filter tends to catch stuff in the trade channel that is not gold spam, just someone advertising theirs wares. Which is the reason I decided to make each channel configured independently of others. It's your choice as the end user to decide which filter is applied where.

New update, minor fixes.

Yes, the link in the original post is where to download the latest update.

Back