Tuesday, September 8, 2009 - Judges 3:12-23

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
The Israelites again did what was evil in the LORD's sight. He gave Eglon king of Moab power over Israel, because they had done what was evil in the LORD's sight. After Eglon convinced the Ammonites and the Amalekites to join forces with him, he attacked and defeated Israel and took possession of the City of Palms. The Israelites served Eglon king of Moab 18 years.

Then the Israelites cried out to the LORD, and He raised up Ehud son of Gera, a left-handed Benjaminite, as a deliverer for them. The Israelites sent him to Eglon king of Moab with tribute [money].

Ehud made himself a double-edged sword 18 inches long. He strapped it to his right thigh under his clothes and brought the tribute to Eglon king of Moab, who was an extremely fat man. When Ehud had finished presenting the tribute, he dismissed the people who had carried it. At the carved images near Gilgal he returned and said, "King [Eglon], I have a secret message for you." The king called for silence, and all his attendants left him. Then Ehud approached him while he was sitting alone in his room upstairs [where it was] cool. Ehud said, "I have a word from God for you," and the king stood up from his throne. Ehud reached with his left hand, took the sword from his right thigh, and plunged it into Eglon's belly. Even the handle went in after the blade, and Eglon's fat closed in over it, so that Ehud did not withdraw the sword from his belly. And Eglon's insides came out. Ehud escaped by way of the porch, closing and locking the doors of the upstairs room behind him.
Source: Judges 3:12-23, HCSB

This is one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament. The story continues after Ehud escapes; I recommend reading through the remainder of the story here.

The theme of this story is one repeated frequently throughout the Old Testament: God's chosen people turn away from God, God's chosen people suffer, God's chosen people cry out to God, and God answers. No matter how many times Israel grew complacent and turned away from God as soon as they were comfortable (and even sometimes before), God would answer their cries and save them. God still tirelessly saves those who call after Him today.

So the next time you're in the midst of a terrible situation, remember the story of Ehud and Eglon (how could you forget?) and remember: God does answer the cries of His people.

Side note: Keero has informed me that it is currently 10:14 p.m. Tuesday in Alaska, so there's at least one state where this post isn't late.

On a more serious note: My apologies for posting this late! I'll try to post next Tuesday's Verse of the Day next Monday night.

Keero and you must have been talking about this verse as he sent me this link while we where talking about another subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlzlqDSUFA (it's you tube but I don't think there are any bad comments on this video). I find it most relevant to the verse and may help you remember it :).

Back