UT3 Beta Demo

Unbelievable! Truly fantastic!

I've been looking for a desktop emulator!

gonna try some things....

So far the game is pretty cool, movement is taking a bit to get used too, but otherwise game plays pretty good :D

Last edited:
Downloaded.

Now need to clear hard drive space before installing. (The Orange Box sapped up quite a bit of free space.)

I have it downloaded, but not yet installed. I'm going to load it up later tonight and see how it goes. Looking forward to it! =)

Installed.

Played.

Crashed. :(

I was able to get in on an online round of Shangri La, but any attempt at Instant Action either throws the same BSOD that plagued me during the first week of the TF2 beta.

I had hoped that turning down the detail levels all the way would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I tried with both official and unofficial drivers for my GeForce Go 7800.

No success.

:(

change your video resolution to the least amount.
Run it in a window?

Mine is up and running just fine. Truly gonna be awesome.

Got it up and running, even bumped up the res to 1024 w/ details and textures up to 5 and didn't notice anything terrible frame rate-wise. (although that would probably change when the maps actually had real, live players on it)

Running Nvidia 7600, Intel Core 2@2.1 ghz and 2 GB RAM.

Like the good Cap'n, I'm having a little trouble with the player movement and the general "heaviness" of everything. I was expecting it, but still hard to get used to.

I like the Bio rifle's tweaks (Secondary does damage over time instead of damage all at once), just 'cuz it looks neat to see the stuff hanging off your opponent for a second before they gib. :) But primary still feels as useless as before, ditto link gun primary.

Haven't figured out how to toss grenades with the rocket launcher (I think that was supposed to be back in UT3), or how to do skate tricks with the hoverboard.

The new weapon bar is more useful I think, showing you only the weapons you're actually carrying.

The weapon models look awesome, especially the Redeemer! But in the end, I'll probably end up turning them off since they cover so much of the screen. :p

Going to try some online now...

Not much luck online, all the servers have pings of "0" (wha?) or 110. :p What's with the gamespyid login too? I actually tried my actual gamespyid but it didn't work so I had to create a new one. :p

This game is killing my vid card. I get framerates that range from 17 to 80. makes it difficult to enjoy the game. I have a Geforce 8500, not a very robust card it turns out. I am going to have to ask Santa for a 8800 Ultra ;).

Wait, you have a 8500 and are having problems, and I have a 7600 and I'm fine?

Gonna try a different driver, this new 1 doesn't seem to be working well with my system:( . I'm also finding out thathe 8500 is not a very good card, 7600 is actually better. The 8500 is barely better than the 7300 in benchmarks. I should have spent the xtra $50 for the 8600

Last edited:
Gonna try a different driver, this new 1 doesn't seem to be working well with my system:( . I'm also finding out thathe 8500 is not a very good card, 7600 is actually better. The 8500 is barely better than the 7300 in benchmarks. I should have spent the xtra $50 for the 8600

Put old driver back on and messed with settings and got good playable fps. All settings are on low at 800x600 but its playable anyway :D

I may be being a little hard on my vid card. I'm finding out on Nvidia's forums that the 8000 series cards have some unresolved driver issues with Win XP Pro(32bit). There is a repair ticket out there but nothing has been done about it yet. I guess these problems i'm having aren't an issue on Vista. :(

Yeesh, and I was thinking about upgrading my video card this Christmas. Maybe I better hold off.

Incidentally, I found that turning world detail all the way down to "1" was best for visibility. It gets rid of that oh-so-cool but oh-so-useless "atmosphere" blurring effect, and the colours "pop" a little more on the screen.

Oh, and to throw grenades, hold down Alt-Fire with the rocket launcher and hit the primary to toggle between spiral, grens or regular. The rocket launcher definitely locks on faster than in UT2004.

Lastly, double jump is in, dodging is in, wall dodging is in, double jump *then* wall dodge, but no dodging and then double jumping.

Oh, impact hammer jumping is in, but I can't seem to *jump* and hammer at the same time. You can hammer the floor and get some good height while standing, but jumping and hammering gets you nowhere.

Bio rifle secondary goop sticks around longer than previously. Actually feels like a good defensive weapon now.

For some fun, hit a jump pad/lift and then "feign death". ;)

Back