Valve confirms Hardware development

[toj.cc]phantom

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
“We’re frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space, so we’re jumping in.”

Link To Full Article

Valve, traditionally a software company is getting into hardware, and it will probably be epic.

05c76aa9_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope they have a configuration with a monitor - there's going to be a lot of accidents involving wallets at high velocities after this announcement.

Hmmm... this and Ouya. I wonder how the big game platforms will handle Steam getting into this.

Edit: Looks like a job posting so hardly an announcement.

Remember Valve may not necessarily be developing a "Steam box" (a computer capable of playing all current Steam games AND designed to connect to a TV), but rather gaming peripherals or individual PC components.

Remember Valve may not necessarily be developing a "Steam box" (a computer capable of playing all current Steam games AND designed to connect to a TV), but rather gaming peripherals or individual PC components.

I'd much rather have that then more gimmicky peripherals.

[toj.cc]phantom;462754 said:
I'd much rather have that then more gimmicky peripherals.
A Steam box isn't particularly innovative, though, and Valve's complaint is "lack of innovation." It would seem a tad silly to draw up contracts with hardware manufacturers for ordering existing and assembling existing hardware when their goal is supposedly to create something new and fresh.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a Steam box, but I certainly wouldn't call such a device "innovative." I have Steam installed on my new-to-me PC, which is connected to my TV and capable of playing every game I've thrown at it so far (including Natural Selection 2).

I understand that it isn't innovative, but I'm tired of seeing motion controlled everything. I didn't care for the Wii controls so I used a Gamecube controller instead, Micro$oft still can't do the Kinect right and PS Move is the same as the Wii for me.

I'm hopping by innovative they mean something like that Occulus, but with mouse and keyboard or controller support.

Personally, I think it would be very innovative if all they did was a standard desktop set. I don't think it would run "all" games. Rather, you could certify all games against certain SteamBox setups.

It would be very, very useful to the consumer just to know which stuff they could play with which games.

Of course, I would always welcome an Ouya approach, as well...

Back