Very Interesting News (LAN??)

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
http://www.sc2blog.com/

Thanks to those folks at sc2blog, TL, SCL, PlayXP, and sc2178.com

Even with the StarCraft 2 Beta down until further notice, the eSports arena is heating up. Rumors and teasers mentioning of a massive event scheduled to take place on June 24 have been released, and it appears that the event is not only meant to generate hype.
Big thanks goes to the TL and SCL communities for posting translations of the original material, which was released via PlayXP and sc2.178.com.

June 24 11:00~14:00
Gimpo Airport Korean Air Hangar
This event will run from June 24, from 11:00am until 2:00pm at the Korean Air Hangar, with the attendance of Blizzard HQ executives, national VIPs of the industry, reporters, and community members.
It was asked if the general public could participate, but unfortunately the event is planned to be invitation-only.
It is expected that all the details of StarCraft II’s release will be made public here.
Following Blizzard’s lockdown of the StarCraft franchise, many were expecting a major announcement to come out of Korea regarding the future of major league StarCraft competition, one that is approved by Blizzard. The event is planned to have Blizzard executives in attendance, so this just might be what fans and progamers worldwide have been waiting for.
1. There will be an upcoming “Ongame Net Starcraft 2 League,” or OSL2.
2. The sponsor of the first one will be Korean Air.
3. The first OS2L will have preliminaries all over the world and then the players will be gathered in Seoul for the Ro16.
4. There will be a “Starcraft 2 Professional Edition” that will only be provided to tournament organizers, which will include LAN functionality. Only with a special account + password that gets activated will it work. Blizzard staff will be present at tournaments to assist. Apparently, this news was first told to the organizers of the Stars War tournament after it had ended.
While the actual GomTV/OSL arrangement is not clear or fully confirmed yet, it is reasonable to assume that GomTV has found a way to work with one of the scene’s largest and most established operators. However, the most interesting part of this story is the StarCraft 2 Professional Edition, which is said to include LAN functionality.
LAN support, or the the lack of it, has been a major issue throughout StarCraft 2’s development. The gaming community did not approve of Blizzard’s decision to not support gameplay over local networks, and many fans have vowed to abstain from StarCraft 2 as long as it does not support this type of connection. It will be interesting to see if Blizzard actually does launch this “StarCraft 2 Professional Edition” and if the requirements for acquiring it will be made standard and public.

it looks like this version will be pretty selective. I don't blame blizzard, and I'm wondering how one client will work with regular clients (e.g. do you have to have only LAN-enabled versions, or can you hook up regular versions to a LAN-enabled and have it work?).

I may be getting this for my church and local get-togethers. Oh, and if I get one we should all meet up. I hope Virginia is convenient for everyone.

Well, that explains how they plan to allow e-sports organizations to hold tournaments.

Now how about LAN play for those of us who don't play professionally? Or are we going to have to wait for and use an "unlicensed" loader to graft on a feature that should have been included in the first place?

Thats the problem when an industry starts making alot of money, soon thats all they think about. Kinda like what happens with alot of movies, the priority shifts from quality to money.

I hate to be the wet noodle, but it doesn't seem like this will affect our LAN play at all. At the church we have done LAN parties and if we had the internet couldn't we all meet in Battle.net and play? LAN is a cool feature, but not a dealbreaker.

I hate to be the wet noodle, but it doesn't seem like this will affect our LAN play at all. At the church we have done LAN parties and if we had the internet couldn't we all meet in Battle.net and play? LAN is a cool feature, but not a dealbreaker.
  1. Not all LAN parties have Internet access. If they do, they may not have the bandwidth necessary for most of the LAN participants to play on Battle.net at the same time. (I'm not familiar with the bandwidth up/down usage for Battle.net.)
  2. The best ping is zero. Plain and simple.
  3. Battle.net doesn't exactly have a reputation for low latency and stability. If your match lags out while you're sitting three feet away from your opponent, that's absurd. If Battle.net completely gives out in the middle of a LAN (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did), no one at the LAN will be able to play StarCraft II--even though every person wanting to play has a legitimate copy of the game.
I've already pre-ordered the game, but I see no issue with using an unofficial loader for LAN play, so long as everyone playing has a legitimate copy of the game.

plus theres a limit of battle.net loggins per IP, so unless you have 2+ modems with different internet subscriptions, you can't have a big lan party

plus theres a limit of battle.net loggins per IP, so unless you have 2+ modems with different internet subscriptions, you can't have a big lan party
Eh? Source? That's the first I'm hearing of a logins-per-IP limit. (Not doubting you; just hadn't heard about it before.)

Honestly, 16 connections for one IP is still a lot. That's assuming that news is true.

well i don't think it would be hard to fix, but it all depends if they are willing to. I would though expect them to change that later. it could have been some test for the beta. we'll see when it comes out officially.

Back