war's card requirements and upset gamers

So besides the OS choice and the RAM, that stuff I have would be compatible, yeah?

That is true for xp and vista. The gaming performance in vista has improved tremendously from what it used to be. In directx 9 games xp is still faster, but as more and more games come out with directx10 support, vista will be the only way to go. Windows7 will be out in a year or 2, but who know how that will go. Plus why buy directx 10 hardware that you can't use all the features.
why buy vista when windows 7 is coming out in a year?(not that it's going to perform THAT much better unless MS stops cowtowing to **aa and removes the drm infection) DX10 is not advanced enough to be exclusive(even ms can't afford that kind of bribe) and the installed base of dx9 is too great for game developers to ignore.

Most of your links show the 9800gtx above the 4850. I know the 4850 is faster at very high resolutions. I dont know many people that have a monitor that runs 2048x1536 or 2560x1600. I was talking about normal resolutions of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. I also know that it is only a few frames in all instances, but hey higher is better:) The nvidia cards might use more power, but they run cooler, as posted in your link.

As a few of you have seen, I'm up and running the game on my new computer! Thanks to everyone for their time and patience!

If you care to hear my struggles...

I received the parts on Thursday. Read as much as I could and put together the hardware on Thursday. Friday, I installed the drivers and software. I had some strange reboots and eventually couldn't power on the computer after setting the RAM speed to 1066 and voltage per the specs....well? It all went downhill after that. I reset the ram to defaults and things seemed stabile....until I tried to run games.

Cooling?...check. Things are running fine with all those fans all over the case. CPU cores are 37-42. GPU is in 30s before running any game. Safe to say it was ok.

RAM?...stuck the RAM diagnostics bootable CD in and whaaa? Errors and errors. I isolated the errors to one stick. I ran tests against the other RAM all night with extended tests on the CPU too. All looks good.

In the middle of another windows re-install. BLUE SCREEN. I ran the ram diagnostics again...ERRORS on the last RAM stick!

You can imagine how stressed out I was at that point. I also updated the bios due to recommendations of people. That coulda been a tragedy, thank God the Bios loaded up fine and I'm not touching that unless I'm forced to.

Half panicked, I went to Best Buy and spent a fortune on new RAM. In the process of installing that, I broke the external wireless card connector plugged in the back. So another trip to Best Buy for a new wireless adapter.

So now, reinstalled windows, no problems. Device drivers installed, no problems. I loaded up a few games, no problem.

And the finale, WAR runs!!!!!!!!

Played for 8+ hours the other day and no problems. GPU temps while running the game are in the 40s although the CPU runs at 50-55c. I officially deemed the computer trustably stabile tonight and moved it into my room for official playing.

What a rollercoaster it has been.

A tip for people who haven't built a computer in awhile or first starting out and want to learn.
a) try and find a guru to be on-call or help. Perhaps, snag a phone number from one of the gurus here. I really needed one after the RAM had died and found one.
b) wait for the weekend to start working on it and pray that you don't have a half-built computer by the time you get ready for work on monday!

It was honestly the most stress I've had all year. Would I buy build another computer again? Heck yea and save lots of money and get a more powerful machiine!

Thanks again Hescominsoon, Ralvardar, Inkelis and Deamiter! Message me in-game so we can hang out!

Signed Mr amped-right-now,

Zeb

Last edited:
Hehe. Glad to hear tha tyou got it it built. And for those of us that don't build often, yes, it can be incredibly stressful :(

I'm looking to start building my new system in the next week or so. Still compiling the parts list.... and checking it twice. I think I'm almost set.

Hey zeb, do you still have the RAM? Or did you return it? I had that problem with one build, where all was fine then started getting random reboots. Tested RAM and hadd all sorts of errors. So just for fun, I stuck the RAM in the other 2 slots on the board, and no more problems. System has been running fine for over a year. I know this means that the motherboard has 2 bad memory slots, but the owner didn't want to wait for replacement.

Wow Ralv. That's strange indeed about the RAM slots. Honestly, it was so stressful after flashing the BIOS with that RAM and then knowing it had errors...I am happy to be rid of it.

I got an RMA refund in process for them anyways. Good riddens! Thanks for the tip, tho.

Zeb

Back