Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Durruck

Pirate!
Yes, I know I'm a little early - but I wanted to make sure that I actually get my post in this week... and tomorrow is likely to be a looong day at work :)

2 Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (NIV)

Notice that the whole series begins with faith, and grows from there. It's much like our own spiritual walks - none of us are at the same point as another, but we should all be striving towards the same goal.

When we accept Christ as our Lord, it is with only faith. Once we build upon that faith, we begin to grow in these virtues. Once we build in these virtues it will lead us to the loving actions that James describes. Instead of having a "Christian checklist" that includes going to church, giving a few bucks, then walking away... we begin to develop a heart of true worship, service, and love.

But Peter finishes this in verse 8 by calling us to remember that we must continue to grow, or else our faith is ineffective and we are unproductive. I could expand on this with Jesus' thoughts about effective faith and love, but I'll save those for another week.

lol - I had to check my calendar for a second there.

I use that passage all the time with James 1 and Romans 5. It is a process. Thanks.

And of course, the importance of the process is outlined in Matthew 25:31-46 and Luke 6:43-49 (and many others, I'm sure)

Back