Wednesday, October 13, 2010: Disciples and Apostles

Durruck

Pirate!
Today's verse is a little different. I'm going to teach a bit of a lesson behind this one. I'll be completely honest here and say that when someone in my youth group asked me a year ago, I didn't know this answer. So when I ran across the verse in my reading tonight, it sparked my memory.

First, the language lesson:

disciple: student; one who learns; follower.
Disciple: One of Jesus' 12 followers, part of the "inner circle" of believers
apostle: messenger; missionary
Apostle: One of Jesus' missionaries; originally 11 (The Twelve, minus Judas), joined by Matthias.

Please notice that the capitalized version is just a pronoun used for a specific person or group of persons that still fall within the definition of uncapitalized word.

The turning point for when we stop using Disciple and start using Apostle is in Acts 1:9 "After he (Jesus) said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight." (NIV).

At this point, Jesus time on Earth is concluded. These 11+1 men were no longer followers, they were missionaries.

However, they didn't immediately run out into the street and start evangelizing. Jesus had told them to wait a few days on the Spirit. So they took their time to plan out there next steps: they gathered, elected Matthias, and prayed. And prayed some more.

They weren't just saying bedtime prayers. These people were gathered in an upper room and had a serious prayer session going on. Then we see in Acts 2:2-4 (NIV)

Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the hole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues (languages) as the Spirit enabled them.​

But what was the deal with the fire? A few things here. John preached about Jesus baptizing with fire (Luke 3:16), and Joel 2:28-29 talks about the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. So it fulfilled additional prophecies, lending more credit to the prophet's other predictions that were still yet to come.

More importantly, on Mount Sinai, God confirmed the validity of the Old Testament law with fire (Exodus 19:16-18), and with this fire descending upon all believers, God was confirming the ministry of these apostles, and demonstrating that the Holy Spirit is available to all who believe Him.

Now they were ready to preach the Word!

Back