Well, what do you think? Initial impression

What do you think of StarCraft II so far?

• It's less than what my expectations were

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
What do you think about StarCraft II for those of you who are lucky enough to play it?

Also, what are you experiences (campaign or multiplayer)?

Public poll, multiple choice. I have to say, the campaign is top notch. I LOVE the hundreds of cinematics and the interaction with the rest of the crew. The missions are stellar; always keeping you on your toes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't vote "Greatest" but its quite wonderful and spectacular.

Part of the campaign, I had a choice of 3 missions but could only pick 1.

Its interested how different each one is as well as their benefits.

My only disappointment is that they wasted their Manuals.

I'm not gonna read the story again when I've already seen it on Youtube/SC2 site and from the Original game.

Sorry, Lloren. Honestly you're not missing anything; the campaign feels incomplete and rushed.

b714766a-255d-4fcd-81c9-d0c17e7260b0.jpg

Tough to put in in the context of "greatest ever" after 24 hours ... the test of that imo is whether I'm still playing it in 6 months or 6 years (Civ and WoW are the only games that passed that test with me).

But it definitely surpasses my expectations ... although the last RTS I played with any sort of effort was probably Warcraft I so I'm not really a genre but so much expectations were more "curious" than "high or low" anyhow. I'd never played the original SC a decade ago but did so a bit over the last month or two ... and wow, what a difference 12 years of graphics evolution makes. The level of detail on the few maps that I've played is just incredible ... I didn't think it was possible to get an "oh snap" reaction on the look of an RTS game these days but it's already happened for me.

The battle.net integration is cool. Seamless chat with the WoW folks while I'm in SC is kinda mindblowing (even though in theory I've been able to do the same sort of thing on XBL for years ... I don't have a keyboard attached to my Xbox so it doesn't get used much) .. not just being able to tell who's on, but what they're playing, on what toon, and in what zone.

Lastly, I barely touched the beta and, as mentioned, never played through SC1 so all of the story stuff is new to me ... and all of that is very cool. It's interesting how Blizzard likes to use the three-faction storylines (AC/Horde/Scourge, Terran/Protean/Zerg).

The cinematics are one area where I'm kind of indifferent ... clearly they're very well produced and all, but if I want to watch cinematics, I'll watch TV or a movie ... not usually a huge fan of a lot of cutscene action in games. So far, it hasn't been too overwhelming but I'm a little nervous on that.

Last edited:
whoa...seamless with WoW? I suppose you have to have a live WoW account for that to work.

whoa...seamless with WoW? I suppose you have to have a live WoW account for that to work.

I don't know, maybe Tebran or someone can comment on that. Peeps need to be RealID friends with you, certainly ... you can't "/who lloren" and get every lloren logged into any Bliz game in the world, for sure. I can certainly see all the zone info ... dunno if Teb (who I think doesn't have an active WoW) account woudl just see their names or what.

I'm not sure. I don't have any realid friends who play WoW. Although, I assume that you can still see a player's information even if you're not in the game (or if you account is inactive, or if you never even had an account). Prime example, I'm sure Gilga's spoken with many of his realid friends while they were logged into WoW and he into StarCraft, and I doubt those friends had StarCraft. I think it works same (in reverse) for those who have WoW friends but not the game.

There was a similar system in b.net a long time ago where you could see what games b.net users were playing, like Diablo, StarCraft, WarCraft III, etc. Basically, your information is being sent to a third server that all b.net users connect to globally. So, it shouldn't matter what realm your realid friends play on, what faction, or even what game. That's the theory anyway, not sure if it actually works like that. Which leads to a bigger question: can North American servers communicate with European and Asian?

Last edited:
True, I definitely had WoW folks who didn't have SC2 who could see me and chat with me.

Good question on cross-continent.

I've been talking to my WoW friends while they are in Starcraft.....Tebbybear send me your battlenet email so I can add you in wow and see if that works with you in Starcraft?

Thanks for the Trial, Corp. ^_^

I played 11 missions including the flashback/crystal one, all on Hard until about 5 am (about 6 hours and 40 odd minutes... seems battle.net's clock kept ticking so I HAD to play then.)

I voted the "it's okay/average" option because other than a few CGI cutscenes, I'm not really impressed. It feels like a glossed over 11 year old game with gimmicky missions and small gameplay refinements (queuing, unit pathfinding, macro elements for multiplayer) that feel anything but revolutionary. The graphics are fantastic like CNC4 or Dawn of War 2 (liked a certain unit's Blink smoke effect, or the creep's look), and the menu system is interesting (didn't Wing Commander or another space sim do this?) but I can't find my self to care about these characters (other than the Fox News-esque UNN clips) or the story, it's generically flat. The animation and facial look is Mass Effect 2 level, but there's no real dialog options to explore more about universe other than the pre-scripted lines. (Though I do agree it's a HUGE overhaul to the old Video Conferencing of the first game.) The research/armory/mercenary idea is a nice touch though. With the missions I played, I just for once wanted to not be required to do something gimmicky which also hurt CNC4's campaign (protect a convoy for one). It felt like the community made a "make something super unique!" level and Blizzard threw it in the game. Lava? Check. Train Robbery? Check. Fun? Errr, it'll be patched in. Don't get me started on how fun controlling a sluggish mining laser every 15 seconds is against endless waves and a door that took 40 minutes to burn through is. Yay innovation. :/

So yeah, highly polished for sure (Ultra graphics = satisfied, and that prophecy cave video was super cool) but I can't just get the feeling that after the decade they had to develop Starcraft 2, it's still 1998 but with 3D graphics, a flashy menu and a much weaker campaign game compared to the first Starcraft. The only time I actually enjoyed myself was the very first mission and the flashback/crystal one. And it's for that reason I'll be picking up the game when the Protoss expansion / triple pack comes out. There's no way in heck I'll pay 60 bucks for this kind of content.

Not trying to be harsh on the game here, but it's just another hyped game with an inflated price to me. It has a lot of good qualities, but not the kind that matter to me, the actual gameplay.

/back to finishing Brood War & DoW2

Last edited:

I've heard many many SCII players say that it's almost identical to the original game aside from the graphics(as far as the gameplay goes).

And yet you seem to be saying that SC I is superior.

asplain? :/

SC1 = interesting and not gimmicky. SC2 = jump through hoops of fire, do barrel rolls and other filler content which doesn't add to the story, kinda like Modern Warfare 2.

And the gameplay is similar, I don't disagree with you there. But as for the Campaign itself, I felt the original was much stronger (unless of course the sequel's campaign gets stronger later on, which I doubt) with both it's characters and story. Here's it's all "lets get moneys and buy more tankz, maybe this person is a bad dewd... all wells, let's kill zergs and rob old things from they blu alyuns!"

Also,

I've heard many many SCII players say that...

Where do you live if you've heard "many many"? You're town must've been shutdown on release night. ^_~

/throws up 2 supply depots and a barracks at his only ramp to fend off the rush

Last edited:
Back