What are your ideas for "fixes?"

AmericanJudkins

I certainly haven't played long enough to know what the "perfect fix" would be for balancing the races. From what I've seen, played, and discussed on TS though, it seems like Zerg could use a buff or two.

I think mass mutas/hydras should be a decent counter to terran tier 1.5, so my idea would be to make it way cheaper to make mutas. Like somewhere closer to the Marauder gas range. Maybe not the same, but even out the gas cost for Marauders and Mutas.

I certainly haven't played long enough to know what the "perfect fix" would be for balancing the races. From what I've seen, played, and discussed on TS though, it seems like Zerg could use a buff or two.

I think mass mutas/hydras should be a decent counter to terran tier 1.5, so my idea would be to make it way cheaper to make mutas. Like somewhere closer to the Marauder gas range. Maybe not the same, but even out the gas cost for Marauders and Mutas.

Hybrid race would balance everything

Hard to say if it's balanced or not, but we keep hearing stories of top players in Korea doing fine with the current Zerg setup.

If I had my drothers I would :

1. decrease hydra cost slightly (75/25) pushing them to SC1 cost.
2. put roach back at 1 supply. :) - seriously who uses roaches now?

Hard to say if it's balanced or not, but we keep hearing stories of top players in Korea doing fine with the current Zerg setup.

If I had my drothers I would :

1. decrease hydra cost slightly (75/25) pushing them to SC1 cost.
2. put roach back at 1 supply. :) - seriously who uses roaches now?

Bring back Lurkers.

Then bring everything back!

Reavers, Lurkers, Vultures, etc.

Oh wait, they already did that, for Terran anyways. :D

I insult/brag that you have never played this before.

Last edited:
Make Zerg more fun to play. Make ground units viable; specifically, make hydralisks less squishy. Seriously, what are they, Mages? Make Zerg a bit more mobile. Diversify. Give us fun early to mid-game strats. Give us a chance of actually defending an expansion.

Terran have Reapers (jumps cliffs) and Planetary Fortress. Protoss have Colossi (walks over cliffs) and Warp Gates (allowing a player to warp in units anywhere there's a pylon). Yes, Zerg have the Nydus Worm, but it's Tier 3.

Now it's a well-known fact that Zerg Air Force rules (I still want to design that t-shirt). The trouble is surviving until we can go air and expanding so we can get the gas we need to support our air force.

Now how do I propose balancing the game in light of these suggestions? I dunno. I don't get paid to design games. When I do, I'll invest more effort into design suggestions. :p

...Seriously, what are they, Mages? Make Zerg a bit more mobile. Diversify....

What?!

Zerglings are the fastest ground unit in the game and they can morph [anywhere] into those things that explode and dissolve armies in seconds. Not to mention you can amass a 100 strong Zergling force in negative 5 seconds. Hydralisks also seem to move faster than comparable units. Make them more mobile? You're joking.

...Protoss have Colossi (walks over cliffs) and Warp Gates (allowing a player to warp in units anywhere there's a pylon). Yes, Zerg have the Nydus Worm, but it's Tier 3....

The Colossus is also Tier 3 and warp gates (while very handy) only warp in units made at the warp gate. I never use Colossi because I prefer the Void Ray... which flies... attacks both air and ground units... and eats enemy bases for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Personally, I wish Protoss had a better Tier 1 unit... Zealot costs 100 minerals and only attacks ground units? It costs double what the Marine costs and does half the work! Granted, Protoss does have the stalker, but at 150 minerals and 50 gas, it isn't cheap compared to the competition.

The beginning of the game always seems to be the hardest time for me as Protoss. I usually never feel bad for Terrans when they get attacked early in game because they usually have about 100 marines and 5 marauders. If they're zerg they'll have about 50,000 zerglings. :p

Last edited:
What?!

Zerglings are the fastest ground unit in the game and they can morph [anywhere] into those things that explode and dissolve armies in seconds. Not to mention you can amass a 100 strong Zergling force in negative 5 seconds. Hydralisks also seem to move faster than comparable units. Make them more mobile? You're joking.
I didn't mean mobile in terms of speed. I meant mobile in terms of movement options. Zerg have ground (move along ground, up and down ramps) and air (fly in a straight line from point A to point B). There is no Zerg units that can jump or step over cliffs.

Sure, zerglings are fast (especially with the movement speed upgrade), but there are so many units that gobble them for lunch that they're effectively useless (except as a burrowed unit for sight on expansions) after the first few minutes of the game in nearly all situations.

And maybe it's just my own experience or because I almost never get the movement speed upgrade, but I don't think hydralisks are that fast.

Sure, Zerg are fairly fast, but there's no real diversity in movement. It's like playing a chess game without any knights. Sure, you can still get your bishops and rooks across the board fast enough, but the game would lose a certain charm if you didn't have a unit with unconventional movement patterns. It's easy to predict where a player is going to take their bishop, rook, or pawn. It's much more difficult to predict where that knight is going to end up.

In short, it feels like Blizzard invested a lot of thought and effort in adding really cool new stuff to Terran and Protoss and Zerg was an afterthought. "Check this out! These Terran guys can jump cliffs and the dropships heal now. And Protoss can warp in units anywhere there's a pylon. How cool is that? Oh, right. That bug race. Yeh, we'll spruce up the nydus canal. Whatever. It's time for lunch."

The Colossus is also Tier 3 and warp gates (while very handy) only warp in units made at the warp gate.
Eh? Hitting W and then dropping a unit anywhere there's a pylon is pretty darn cool. If I played Protoss (and I've considered switching races), I'd probably be fond of building 4+ warp gates, building a 2-pylon, 2-cannon outpost, and warping in a zealot/sentry/stalker mix right outside the enemy base.

And how cool is the warp prism? A flying pylon? Oh man. It all seems so obvious: Void rays + deployed warp prism + 4 gateways + stalkers/zealots. It's like a medivac drop with viking support but at least 4 times as cool. Why don't we see more Warp Prisms in games?

Personally, I wish Protoss had a better Tier 1 unit... Zealot costs 100 minerals and only attacks ground units? It costs double what the Marine costs and does half the work! Granted, Protoss does have the stalker, but at 150 minerals and 50 gas, it isn't cheap compared to the competition.
Because zealots and stalkers are both sturdy units. In addition to their health, they have regenerating shields. They hit hard, they have auto-regen outside battle, and they have more HP. Of course they cost more.

The beginning of the game always seems to be the hardest time for me as Protoss. I usually never feel bad for Terrans when they get attacked early in game because they usually have about 100 marines and 5 marauders.
Now that we can agree on. Bioball (mass marines/marauders) does feel a bit too much like an "I Win" button right now. Maybe it's because the game is still new. Maybe it's because most of the viable Zerg counters involve ridiculous micro (banelings) or third-tier units (infestor + fungal growth).

If they're zerg they'll have about 50,000 zerglings. :p
Which get shredded by banshees and void rays. :( If a Zerg player sticks to lings, they better finish the job or have a plan to switch to air if they're going to survive past the early game.

Man, the more I write about Protoss, the more I like them. Too bad I lack the skill to ever be very good with them. :(

I didn't mean mobile in terms of speed. I meant mobile in terms of movement options. Zerg have ground (move along ground, up and down ramps) and air (fly in a straight line from point A to point B). There is no Zerg units that can jump or step over cliffs.

Sure, zerglings are fast (especially with the movement speed upgrade), but there are so many units that gobble them for lunch that they're effectively useless (except as a burrowed unit for sight on expansions) after the first few minutes of the game in nearly all situations.

And maybe it's just my own experience or because I almost never get the movement speed upgrade, but I don't think hydralisks are that fast.

Sure, Zerg are fairly fast, but there's no real diversity in movement. It's like playing a chess game without any knights. Sure, you can still get your bishops and rooks across the board fast enough, but the game would lose a certain charm if you didn't have a unit with unconventional movement patterns. It's easy to predict where a player is going to take their bishop, rook, or pawn. It's much more difficult to predict where that knight is going to end up.
If you play protoss the chess game becomes, wow I have all these knights, but no pawns. And I have to wait patiently and hope they don't see my plan coming as I'm still placing my pieces on the board during my turns.

Eh? Hitting W and then dropping a unit anywhere there's a pylon is pretty darn cool. If I played Protoss (and I've considered switching races), I'd probably be fond of building 4+ warp gates, building a 2-pylon, 2-cannon outpost, and warping in a zealot/sentry/stalker mix right outside the enemy base.

And how cool is the warp prism? A flying pylon? Oh man. It all seems so obvious: Void rays + deployed warp prism + 4 gateways + stalkers/zealots. It's like a medivac drop with viking support but at least 4 times as cool. Why don't we see more Warp Prisms in games?

I've used warp prisms effectively, but never against zerg -I can't drop enough to do much before they counter. And you've got to drop in units outside sight range otherwise those first 4-6 units are mincemeat. And as for Void Rays, I've started thinking that protoss is practically synonymous with VRs and should thus plan accordingly. I've only very rarely been wrong.

I don't understand what the bonus of having units that can scale walls is. Sure its interesting... but why waste time and energy on those when you can make units that can fly?

If you play protoss the chess game becomes, wow I have all these knights, but no pawns. And I have to wait patiently and hope they don't see my plan coming as I'm still placing my pieces on the board during my turns.

THAT!

That, is qft.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the bonus of having units that can scale walls is. Sure its interesting... but why waste time and energy on those when you can make units that can fly?
To make things more interesting. :) Playing Zerg can get a bit dull at times.

The problem with Warp Prisms is that they are very fragile and arent very effective dropships. Even if you have 8 gates it is still hard to build an effective army in a base with warp prisms. You really need to have RoboFacility units to support but the WP only holds 2 immortals or 1 collosus.

I've won many a games by sending my main force to an expansion causing the opponent to empty out there base and the warping in several units into there main. It's all about timing and intention. Your not trying to completely destroy his base but hurt his economy so he cannot recover.

Back