What do you call a fizzy carbonated beverage?

What do you call a fizzy, carbonated beverage?

• Soda

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Pop

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Sodapop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coke (even if it's not a Coke)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Soft drink

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Tonic

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
In the south there is nothing other than Coke. There are Pepsi drinkers, but we dont talk about those people.

Arkanjel said:
In the south there is nothing other than Coke. There are Pepsi drinkers, but we dont talk about those people.

lol. Yep, it's all "coke" down here, baby! We don't get along those preppy pepsi people very well. :(

(kidding :) )

I'm from Texas and used to call it 'Coke' as well. I'm currently living in Nebraska where it is mysteriously referred to as 'pop'. I refer to it now as soda. My dad calls it (or used to) soda-water, pronounced sodeewater.

Up here in the cold and snow in OH we call it pop :)

Now I spent 5 years in the south 15 years ago and it was all called sodapop

Knight said:
Up here in the cold and snow in OH we call it pop :)

Now I spent 5 years in the south 15 years ago and it was all called sodapop
Yup, they call it "pop" here, also.

Live in Ohio...call it pop...however I tend to refer to Mountain Dew as Mountain Dew...only because it is in an awesome class of its own!

It's pop, or it's soda. It's not soda pop, and it's certainly not "coke" even if I am from Oklahoma. Those are probably the same people that call tissues "kleenex." All you're doing is giving in to the demands of The Man and his marketers, using a brand name as a noun. Besides, "coke" is a slang term for cocaine.

[toj.cc]phantom said:
Live in Ohio...call it pop...however I tend to refer to Mountain Dew as Mountain Dew...only because it is in an awesome class of its own!
ROCK ON! Although, I feel somewhat guilty after drinking Mountain Dew...

Yes, I know. Coca-cola was not the only soda to have '''''medicinal''''' additives before the 1950s.

That doesn't change the fact that coke originally and primarily refers to the controlled substance.

I was born in CT and my mom is a true yankee. When we moved to TN I was quickly identified as a YANKEE by my choice of words (pop, you guys instead of yall, you know...proper english). So I've changed from saying pop to coke, but sometimes I use pop just to see peoples reactions. :D

It annoys me the way people in the south pronounce my name (aaron). A-RON instead of AIREN. As a joke at my last job I would tell people my name was Ron, because people would say 'A-ron' and it sounds like 'Hey, Ron'. :/ And now that I remember it, I looked up the actual pronunciation in a irish book of names and it had Aron as the celtic name (I think), but I still pronounce it my way...causes less confusion?

Last edited:
theapoc said:
I was born in CT and my mom is a true yankee. When we moved to TN I was quickly identified as a YANKEE by my choice of words (pop, you guys instead of yall, you know...proper english). So I've changed from saying pop to coke, but sometimes I use pop just to see peoples reactions. :D
hehe, yeah I haven't given in. for me yall is a four letter word, you guys is proper (even when addressing girls). Also people think it's funny the way I pronounce the word "cars" apparently around here they call them "caurs".

Back