What do you think the Holy Grail is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeridianFlight

Much has been made of the Holy Grail, and what it actually, if anything, is. So what do you think it is? The cup of the Last Supper? The head of John the Baptist? The descendants of Jesus? Pure myth?

E. Doesn't matter

Why? If the Last Supper is real, John the Baptist real and Jesus real ... who cares. Jesus died for our sins, not the Holy Grail.

DV ;)

Dark Virtue said:
D. Pure myth.

Why? If the Last Supper is myth, John the Baptist myth and Jesus myth...that only leaves one option.

You can try and dispute that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but I think it's "intellectual negligence" (have you used that before?) to dispute his existence. A prominent external account (Josephus) and numerous documents that are dated so close to the time of Christ that not nearly enough time has passed so that they would be privy to the corruption of "legend forming" (i.e. everybody who witnessed questioned events are dead and therefore unable to oppose grandiose accounts).

I'll ignore your typical comment, DV... anyway I don't know what/where the Holy Grail is and frankly I have better stuff to do than think about it.... I'm obnoxiously tired though and I have a limp so I am not in a debating mood. Heh, in fact... I don't even feel like going on the computer.. :eek: I want to go back to the winter retreat... oh well 1 year from now I will...

MeridianFlight said:
You can try and dispute that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but I think it's "intellectual negligence" (have you used that before?) to dispute his existence. A prominent external account (Josephus) and numerous documents that are dated so close to the time of Christ that not nearly enough time has passed so that they would be privy to the corruption of "legend forming" (i.e. everybody who witnessed questioned events are dead and therefore unable to oppose grandiose accounts).

The term I use is "Intellectual Honesty"

But, let's use your term. Not examining the problems historians and theologians have with the account of Josephus, the Testimonium Flavianum, et al, would definately be considered intellectual negligence.

The "evidence" you put forth does not warrant a belief in Jesus. However, even if I accepted this as evidence, it does nothing to justify Jesus' divinity.

I'm giving you an opportunity to examine the problems yourself. If you would still like me to post the problems with it, I would be more than happy to oblige.

Goose62 said:
E. Doesn't matter

Why? If the Last Supper is real, John the Baptist real and Jesus real ... who cares. Jesus died for our sins, not the Holy Grail.

DV ;)

Aw man, you picked my answer. The Holy Grail, IMO, is again, one of those sacred cows that holds no bearing on the Christian faith. Arguing over what it is or what it represents is fun excercise in teasing the mind but in the end, it is of no consequence. That being said...

...I have never heard of the Holy Grail in terms of John the Baptists Head, the decendants or followers of christ. Myth, the Cup of the Last Supper and the Cup that caught Jesus' blood on the cross are all recuiring themes. I have not deeply studied (nor studied at all for that matter) the hapenstances of the Holy Grail and thusly, tender no opinion. From where I stand, it is just as likely to be a myth as it is to be the cup from the last supper.

DV's logic is questionable. From where I stand, the idea of the Holy Grail first appears in the Legends of the Knights of the Round table. Which is just that, legends. If these legends are also myth, then logically, the Holy Grail itself is a myth. But again, no bearing on the Christian faith.

E. Doesn't matter
^ cup of gold, if you could take it to heaven it would probly be crushed into a square and used as a brick...

(btw, that is the most gross picture I have ever seen, whenever I read your posts goos, I chop the head off the top of my window with the scroll bar)

I say again it is the cup of the last supper, and there is no proof you con either take it to heaven or that it is gold.

Hey DarthDapor! I can't remember if I welcomed you yet, but I've seen you on CCGR's forums. I'm the guy who kept correcting your spelling, lol... (with the whole "hov" and "con" and "con't" deal-I'm really pesky about that sometimes)

HEY!!!! I spell it like that for a reason! Its a personality trait realy. And as for proof, I've heard that it is historically called the holy grail or the cup of the last supper. As for you saying there is no proof that it actually happened, I'd like to say there is no proof that it didn't happen. In other words you con say all you want that there is no God, but I will always hov (please don't touch that) faith that there is a God.

DarthDapor said:
In other words you con say all you want that there is no God, but I will always hov (please don't touch that) faith that there is a God.

And therein lies the problem.

Even if you were shown evidence that God didn't exist, you would still beleive he did?

Yet you expect nontheists to be willing to change their perception of the existence of God based on NO evidence or proof.

TSK TSK

Because even if there were proof right in my face I wouldn't disbelieve. The things in this life mean nothing when it comes down to that. I don't expect people to change, and I don't expect people to stop being human (yes you implied it). There's proof just come to God and realize it.

DarthDapor said:
Because even if there were proof right in my face I wouldn't disbelieve.

And that's what it all comes down to.

Ignorance and stubborness.

Let's look at the rest of your post:

The things in this life mean nothing when it comes down to that. I don't expect people to change, and I don't expect people to stop being human (yes you implied it). There's proof just come to God and realize it.

Again, you portray typical Christian behavior. You aren't willing, EVER, to change your mind...even when confronted with evidence to the contrary. YET, you want others to do something you aren't willing to do.

That is hypocritical!

If there is proof, give it to me. If it's not PROOF, then don't call it proof.

Eh?

That's not exactly proof.

I may not want to believe in the existence of the Eiffel Tower, but lo and behold, no matter how much I want to disbelieve it, there it sits in Paris.

The existence of it has nothing to do with my wanting to believe in it. I should be able to believe in God without WANTING to believe in him. Otherwise you get stuck in a vicious cycle.

As I have said, time and time again, I am more than willing to accept any proof and/or evidence to the existence of God.

But don't call a pig a canary. Give me proof, factual evidence.

I'm standing here with the hands open, what do you intend to fill them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back