What to do with crates?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I have 13 crates and I have no intentions of purchasing any keys. Valve's had weeks to make keys a drop item and they haven't yet, which leads me to believe they won't.

The only idea I can come up with for my 13 crates is to record a video of me destroying all of them and posting the video (maybe with a note saying, "That's $32.37 Valve won't be getting") to YouTube.

Anyone else have any ideas?

1. Build a tower to the sky.

2. Build a campfire with them and stand around them singing give "peas" a chance.

3. Throw them at Valve in the hope the impact will return them to sanity (or a non-greedy state).

Speaking seriously you may be able to find someone who is willing to give you something/anything for them but I think the market has become saturated by now. It was an easy choice for me to give mine away. Of course it was easy because I already have the only hat I ever wanted, Fedora ftw (the bonus hats don't count as me "wanting" them, I'm stuck using them :( ). Even if keys dropped I don't particularly want a "rare" glowing hat which is the best item you can get from a crate. Glowing hat + spy = here I am come kill me XD. Also, even though I think they may drop or you can trade for them, wearing a glowing hat kinda says look at me I bought a key XD .

I say either make the video or give them away to someone who may do something with them, expecting nothing in return.

Last edited:
Well, with all my crates, I'd just buy the keys.

So far, the best items I've had is: 2 Old Guadalajara, 1 bucket of paint, 1 Noble amassment of hats, 1 name tag and 1 vita-saw.

The rest were poly-weapons. :mad:

Though, I'd open all ur crates and give you what items they give for: 1 Refined Metal, 2 Reclaimed Metals or 15 non-poly weapons/items.

Since I made a deal with Gator_missile, I'll have to redo my offers.

Check out my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLSe-R-aPJA

To show I'm legit. :cool:

*Offer to people on my friends list only. Deals varies by number of crates. Deals increase from times refusing the first offer.

The catch: I open your crates and give you their contents.

Last edited:
*Offer to people on my friends list only. Deals varies by number of crates. Deals increase from times refusing the first offer.

Pirate L|_L|

EDIT:
5:13 PM - Corp.fox: u got the warchief hat already?
5:13 PM - [toj.cc]Grey: yes
5:13 PM - Corp.fox: wow
5:13 PM - [toj.cc]Grey: wow what?
5:13 PM - Corp.fox: u have more of the same hats...no uniqueness...
5:14 PM - [toj.cc]Grey: Q_Q way to rub it in
made a deal with this shady pirate.

I had 9 boxes, and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse, 1 tier two & 1 tier one metal.
I received (for the first four): purple paint can, napper's respite, Chieftain's challenge, and a black paint can.
the other five boxes: battalion's backup, the shortstop, bushwacka, scottish resistance, and a homewrecker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOfzRZp7Rlc

Last edited:
Why unlock it? Just hurl the crate, unlocked, at their faces.

Violence is not the answer, kids.

I meant to unlock the ability to throw it. Doh stupid Gerbil communication skills or lack thereof T_T .

Oh my, is this really TF2 that you guys are talking about? I know I've been out of the loop. I played a lot waaaay back when it first came out. This doesn't sound like the same game. In fact, it doesn't sound much like one I want to play :( I saw a near full server and almost joined (despite being ticked the last few times I tried at being killed by weapons I don't own) until I read this. I'll boot up Guild Wars for trading items and getting metal without any micro-transactions.

Hmm, that sounds a little more negative than maybe I intend for a game I remember really enjoying. I dunno... so long as there's no Facebook integration yet, maybe there's still hope of TF2 returning to its roots. :)

Oh my, is this really TF2 that you guys are talking about? I know I've been out of the loop. I played a lot waaaay back when it first came out. This doesn't sound like the same game. In fact, it doesn't sound much like one I want to play :( I saw a near full server and almost joined (despite being ticked the last few times I tried at being killed by weapons I don't own) until I read this. I'll boot up Guild Wars for trading items and getting metal without any micro-transactions.

Hmm, that sounds a little more negative than maybe I intend for a game I remember really enjoying. I dunno... so long as there's no Facebook integration yet, maybe there's still hope of TF2 returning to its roots. :)

The game is still good but Valve's been adding some shlocky things to it lately crates, hat's with stat bonuses and a couple of weapons that need balancing. There is nothing game breaking YET but a few cracks have definitely appeared.

Edit: Forgot to give you my crates tonight Tek, glarg, forgetting everything lately T_T .

Last edited:
Oh my, is this really TF2 that you guys are talking about? I know I've been out of the loop. I played a lot waaaay back when it first came out. This doesn't sound like the same game. In fact, it doesn't sound much like one I want to play :(
I can understand and sympathize with your reaction. I don't want to see my favorite current first-person shooter turned into a "pay-to-win" mess.

That being said, I still enjoy TF2. I simply refuse to purchase keys to open crates. I no longer actively trade items. I don't visit the official TF2 forums (which are typically full of RAEG). I will continue to refuse to buy any items from the item shop until Valve removes the hat requirement from set bonuses.

In short: I simply play the game.

There are still some balance issues, but Valve has proven that they intend to fix at least one major issue: They're testing possible nerfs for the Heavy's Natascha weapon. The balance testing is long, long overdue, but it's good to see proof that Valve hasn't abandoned game balance in favor of a quick buck entirely.

I saw a near full server and almost joined (despite being ticked the last few times I tried at being killed by weapons I don't own) until I read this.
Nearly all weapons are "sidegrades" (neither upgrades nor downgrades) with advantages and disadvantages. And all (or nearly all) alternate weapons (excluding re-skins, like the Iron Kurtain or Enthusiast's Timepiece, which behave exactly like their stock counterpart) can be earned through achievements. I and other members would be willing to help you earn the achievements necessary to unlock alternate weapons.

I'll boot up Guild Wars for trading items and getting metal without any micro-transactions.
Trading and crafting are optional parts of TF2, so don't let that dissuade you from picking the game back up.

I dunno... so long as there's no Facebook integration yet, maybe there's still hope of TF2 returning to its roots. :)
On that topic: I keep expecting to read about a "TF2 Rebalance" community mod any day now. If Valve refuses to fix their game (though the new beta program implies otherwise), then the community likely will take it upon themselves. It happened with TFTrue (which disabled random crits long before Valve added a server cvar to do the same--a cvar that should have been in the game on day one) and it will probably happen again.

Back