What to play?

john3610

So.... I've been doing some reading trying to figure out what I want to play...

Right now I'm thinking of an Assassin. But I'm really not sure... any insight into the various classes?

Assassin is a great class.

So many good classes, but it takes a long time to level, so the faster you settle on a main the better. :)

Let us know if you have questions about any class. They all rock in their own ways.

What type of class do you enjoy most in other games. Personally, I hate trying to kite an running around. I just want to get up in there an fight it out. So I play a Templar, will make a Warrior eventually, an possible a cleric later.

I've played a Templar to 29 and a Ranger to 20 in production, and then a Chanter to 20 in beta a couple times. So, those are the only references I have.

The first thing I noticed is the play is different with these classes than what you might expect if you've been playing like classes in other MMOs. Movement seems to be much more important in this game. Threat mechanics are different and more difficult to manage although (at least to this point) most of the abilities can feel a bit more simple. Others may disagree with that last part but chain skills to me simplify the action a bit.

For example, if a sorcerer sleeps a mob, I've found the threat that's generated with the cc is higher than the initial threat of the taunt ability of the templar. Either that or the range on it is reduced. I've found at levels 20 and up I've had to first shield bash the cc mob when it comes out and then taunt to get them to stick. Tanking feels a lot like it was in vanilla WoW with just warriors.

For Rangers, you are in constant movement. You use a lot of arrows as the plain "shoot" doesn't do much damage at all. As long as you're in movement you get a 10% damage buff to every shot (little directional arrow shows up underneath you to show you it's active). So you want to take advantage of that because if you don't slow and get the mob down you have survivability issues (leather not mail). However, as you move every time you have a shot that requires you to be stationary you simply jump and hit the shot and the command automatically faces you to the target and plants you when you land and fires, so that's the simplification part.

I found Chanter to be the most complex class to play. You're there for buffs, your damage is primarily melee but your heals are sufficient for most leveling or 6 man situations. Think of WoW ret pally with functional heals.

Anyways - long post hope this helps.

Phaith

One difference in tanking vs WoW is that taunt can build up threat constantly. It doesn't reset the hate list like in WoW. So while you have 1 mob CCd the tank can be spamming taunt on it while he tanks the other mob. Then when the CC breaks the tank will already have a bunch of threat built up and it won't go after the Sorc.

Chanter does seem like a complex class. I kinda doubt it could main heal a Instance like Training Grounds without another healer in the group but the heals seem adequate for group quests.

Sorc are very powerful in PvP and can take on 2 ppl at once, regularly, with skill. Sleep one, burn down the other, then kill the slept one. The power of CC is fairly brutal. Also the fear that the SM gets is really strong in PvP.

Sins can put out some serious dps but you will have to expect to be kited around and deal with closing the gap constantly. (make sure to have a Bow for when rooted all the time). Glads will deal with this even more. (use Bow as well)

Rangers can dump crazy burst DPS but are very fragile and must control the fight at all times or get squished. Their skills have massive range of dmg, so they are not very reliable DPS but randomly will burst like mad.

Glads are very stylish, their animations just ooze style and platemail in Aion is by far the best looking armor in any MMO ever.

Just some thoughts about classes as well.

Ok so I have 4 classes 20 or higher and 3 others 10 or higher. The only class I have yet to level is a cleric and i have one in the making at level 8 right now.

I will give my views on each class:

Spirit Master: Dots, pets, snares, roots, fear Fun class, very pet dependant

Ranger: DPS, roots, traps, stealth Kiting class, very squishy

Assasin: DPS, stealth, stuns DPS, stuns, evades, stealth

Gladiator: DPS, DPS oh and DPS DPS, can light tank due to single target taunt

Templar: Tank, Tank and oh Tank Tank, AOE taunts

Sorcerer: DPS, roots, snares, sleeps DPS, crowd control, squish like grape

Chanter: DPS, heals, buffs Ok at dps and heals, great at buffs

Cleric: Heals, heals, and umm heals Heals

I have 3 24s, 1 21, 17, 18, 13, and a 8. Hope this helps.

Ephe

Back