Who would you like to tank for your group?

Who would you like to be a main tank in your group?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted mage.

I wonder why tanks hate it when I open up with pyroblast...

Heh probably not, they're getting hit hard. Then probably just warrior...we'll see.

I know this has been picked and picked upon for forever, but I'm reluctant to let pallies MT in my groups due to their mana pool being a big liability to their tanking abilities while druid/warrior tanks use rage which scales over time in combat/damage taken/damage dealt.

On the other end of the spectrum, Paladins start out with 100% "rage", while Warrior and Druids have to work theirs up. Five sunders anyone? With a paladin you only have to wait 1-3 seconds before starting.

That's not true. I remember playing in SIlithus one day with a bunch of people and we were fighting the elites that come out of the wind stones (I think we were on a regular one). Osirys basically gave me however long it took him to cast a shadowbolt to build up enough agro on the mob so that the shadowbolt didn't pull him off me....without using taunt...or sunders...I think. That gave me 3-4 seconds to build up enough agro as a 2-3k shadowbolt. I did it, but I think what I'm getting at is that the tank also depends on the person playing the toon. I said this in the other tanking thread but it really does matter who is playing the toon. I know some warriors just can't do that.

That's not true. I remember playing in SIlithus one day with a bunch of people and we were fighting the elites that come out of the wind stones (I think we were on a regular one). Osirys basically gave me however long it took him to cast a shadowbolt to build up enough agro on the mob so that the shadowbolt didn't pull him off me....without using taunt...or sunders...I think. That gave me 3-4 seconds to build up enough agro as a 2-3k shadowbolt. I did it, but I think what I'm getting at is that the tank also depends on the person playing the toon. I said this in the other tanking thread but it really does matter who is playing the toon. I know some warriors just can't do that.

Of course it might have been the warlock too?:D

I know, Meli. I was exaggerating. I have the deepest respect for Warriors, and you can even fairly say that I'm a wannabe Warrior.

However, the Paladin does have some very, very solid speccs, and with that said I think Protection is one of them and they will be able to tank in raids just fine.

Furthermore, you make a very excellent point of putting emphasis on the player behind the character. The talent of the individual behind the screen is greatly diminished in threads like these. We too often assume the person playing their toon doesn't have a clue as to what they're doing, and obviously that's just not true.

Casting a Shadow Bolt is 2.5 seconds. So when she pulled, I started to cast my Shadow Bolt. I couldn't pull the aggro off ( I used CoS and trinketed...). Pallies are great at tanking mulitple mobs but can be limited by their mana pool. Warriors and Druids obviously don't have the mana issue. In both cases, it mostly comes down to who is behind the character.

Of course it might have been the warlock too?:D

-_-

Last edited:
In both cases, it mostly comes down to who is behind the character.

QFT. Ive had plenty of bad luck with pallies and druids tanking and even warriors, ive also had great results from all 3. The person playing the tank that knows how to use all that they have to get and keep aggro is the best way to go. Druids look to be getting nerfed hard and may not be as good after the patch, time will tell.

I've played with quite a few druid tanks, but almost always as very successful off-tanks, probably more so after the nerf. I voted pally and warrior in that order.

It does suck to have your tank's mana drained and there's no doubt that it's a liability. At the same time, as long as the group focuses fire, I've had better results with not grabbing aggro as a priest with pallys.

But then again, we've got some uber warriors, and some uber paladins, and I too am going to have to vote that the player makes the tank. I think I prefer paladins at the moment because I've been grouping with Tebran quite a bit, but FJ and Smeli have never let me down either... With intelligent gearing and more importantly -- intelligent playing (sometimes a problem for Tebran) I pallys and warriors are pretty much equal in terms of tanking.

Pair your tanking pally with a good shadow priest and mana is less of an issue. ;) That being said we had FJ as MT on all boss fights so far in Karazhan. And most likely will continue that trend. There is a need for off-tanking in a few boss fights which the pallys will fulfill very well though.

Actually the Warrior is a Hybrid (DPS/Tanking) just like the Pally (Healing/Tanking). This was mentioned multiple times by Blizzard Developers on the forums. That is why they have 2 other trees besides protection. ;-)

Melinarlia I know for a fact that you can not hold agro from me if I immediately cast a Shadow bolt. I dont think anyone can cept maybe a Pally. However depening on the circumstance I would take a Warrior over a Pally or a Pally over a Warrior. For multiple mobs a Pallys AOE is the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back