Why I hate religion but love Jesus.

Getting pretty sick of seeing this video pop up everywhere, has some good theology all mixed up with the bad. Does more harm than good.

Last edited:
Getting pretty sick of seeing this video pop up everywhere, has some good theology all mixed up with the bad. Does more harm than good.

I've heard this from several people, but haven't heard any real breakdown of the "harm" it does and why. Would love to hear it though.

I like this video.
He uses the word religion mainly because it rhymes. The idea is true though, we can not earn God's favor, only accept what Jesus has done. Anything else is man made and of no eternal value.

Now does this mean we have a license to sin? No. because as we enlarge our vision of Jesus, our desire to sin will fall away, and as we truly love Him His desires and ours become one.

I liked the rap that he did. It was entertaining.

My major problem with it is that he seems to bash church (despite claiming to go to one). He says that the only thing that matters is calling Jesus Lord - which is true. However, Jesus talks more about eternal separation and damnation than any other speaker in the New Testament (read Matthew 25:31 vf - Sheep and Goats), Luke 6:46-49 - Wise and Foolish Builders

Yes, we accept our salvation comes through Christ alone. But we cannot accept Christ and continue living our lives. We are called to join a church (Hebrews 10:25). We are not called to remain stagnant, but called become disciples in the world (Matthew 28:19-20). We are not given the option of saying we hate religion and love Jesus. We are called to group together and keep working. True faith requires works as it develops and grows (James 2:19). Yes, it starts with simple faith, but it grows to be something far more complex.

Jesus' message is easy, and His yoke is light because it makes salvation attainable to the average person. Submitting to another lord would bring a lifetime of slavery and unattainable goals. However with Christ, there is nothing we have to do (nor can do) to earn it. It is our faith alone that begins our relationship with Christ, but faith alone does not guarantee salvation. And those are Jesus' words, not mine (again, read Mt 25:31, Luke 6:46-49).

Someone once said to me "if you say you love me but you bash my wife, our relationship will be strained. Is that different for Jesus?"

I'm not saying the video is bad, just asking a question.

I think all he is saying is in the end all that matters is your relationship with Jesus - not whether or not you agree with the church or the Bible on homosexuality, or wealth, or any other issue.

If I'm not mistaken, there are a few places in the gospel where Jesus seems to be against organized religion.

Odale said:
If I'm not mistaken, there are a few places in the gospel where Jesus seems to be against organized religion.

Not against organized religion per se, but that the religious groups of the day made mistakes in their theology.

not whether or not you agree with the church or the Bible on homosexuality, or wealth, or any other issue.

That's where it starts, but it devolves quickly from there.

A lesson to keep in mind, for certain. But that doesn't mean that we should fight against organized religion. Jesus organized a religious coup.

That's where it starts, but it devolves quickly from there.

A lesson to keep in mind, for certain. But that doesn't mean that we should fight against organized religion. Jesus organized a religious coup.

That's true. I still think all he was trying to say was that ultimately, all that matters is your personal relationship with Jesus. Perhaps he could have gone without the sensationalism regarding some of the issues with the church.

That's just my my point though. Jesus said there was so much more. Read the passages I referenced in my first post. Jesus talks about separating out people that claim to follow Him, and people that really do... Based on their deeds.

Yes, our faith is the beginning, but it is not the final thing.

Consider it like this: do you love your mother? How do you prove it? By telling me that you do, or by doing things to show her? When she asks you to go take care of something, do you do it? If she needed a few bucks from your paycheck for something really important, would you give it to her? if you failed to help her when she calls on you every single time, would you expect to be in the will - despite the fact she says she is writing you out?

The same is true for Jesus. If we truly submit to Him, we give Him our devotion, our tithes and offerings, we do what He asks of us. Sure, I can say that I submit to Jesus and fool you. But if I don't truly do what He asks, He will know and handle me accordingly. He already told us that much.

You can show Christ's love and still not belong to a Church.

Hebrews 10:24 really speaks for itself on that subject.

not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

Sure you can be a Christian and not go to church, but why wouldn't you go? No good reason not to, plenty of bad reasons though.

You can be a Saved Christian and not be Baptized, you can be a Saved Christian and not belong to a church, you can be a Saved Christian and not read your Bible, you can be a Saved Christian and not pray, you can be a Saved Christian and never once lead a person to Christ, you can be a Saved Christian and never do one thing Christ tells you to do in the Bible after accepting the free gift of Salvation.

But you can't be an obedient Christian without doing all of the above things.

Before continuing the discussion, I think it would benefit everyone participating to agree upon one definition of "religion" for the purpose of this conversation. After reading the thread thus far, I wonder if we're using the same word to mean different things.

Hebrews 10:24 really speaks for itself on that subject.

not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

Sure you can be a Christian and not go to church, but why wouldn't you go? No good reason not to, plenty of bad reasons though.

I don't really get the impression that he means a church specifically from that passage. A church is a gathering, yes. But so is just meeting a group of friends in someone's home for prayer or bible study.

Back