Why is a curse word a curse word?

I agree with those who say that it's not necessarily the word itself, but the context upon which you use it. This isn't justification to curse, however. You don't have to use the normal curse words to curse or swear at someone. Saying "I hate you" or "I wish you would die" is just as bad.

Just rememeber - out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. Whatever is truly in your heart, it will come out. Just remember the next day you are caught in a situation that causes you to be surprised or scared: what will come out of your mouth?

Mechboy, I understand that you may not be a believer, but whether you are or are not - cursing is not cool nor is it "fun". I don't care who says that.

ByblosHex, I don't recall Jesus calling any one a fool but I could be wrong. I think he called them "Brood of Vipers", and I haven't a clue what that means!

Brood of vipers is a family of snakes bascially.

Cursing is not fun its an afliction which most of us have no control over.

He calls poeple fools in matthew 5:22

Ok God calling someone a fool and His prophets is one thing, many times in the OT the prophets call Isreal fools for turning their back on God. (for a fun word study why not look up what the word fool ment in the OT and NT worlds to the Jews). Now are you an Apostle of Christ? are you God Himself? if so by all means curse and speak foully of anyone you please. untill then Guard your heart and MIND in Christ Jesus.

I still dont get why people think that these words can be ok to say even in the context of how you use it. For instance how would you use the F-word not as a cuss word? Everyone seems to use the S-word as an example of how it isnt a bad word. Like thats a big pile of poo (s-word). I guess I get why they say that one is ok. But why would you consider like the f-word an ok word to say. Also if your saying these words wouldnt that be a bad testamony to unsaved people and they would think that you arent a christian because of those words that you are saying?

it would not make them think that you are not a Christian, but it does hurt your witness. because if you are doing everything they are doing, acting and talking like them how are you any different, you are just being hypocritical of them when you tell them they need to repent and be saved so they dont go to hell.

Well what you said me earlier about struggling with it and keepuing it to my mind as being as just as bad.. well that contradicts what you say now. So keeping it to my mind is better then just spewing it out!

Me and my friends all have nicknames that are curse words. No one gets offended by it, some of them are funny some of them are just sick. I guess we're just a bunch of weird guys.:)

how am i being hypocritical. You keeping it in your mind is God knowning and judging you for that. While if you spit it out then man knows and judges you. Just as the pharisee kept the letter of the law out wardly, on the inside he broke just about every single one of them. dont let your own self righteousness blind you to the truth that you need to have your mind renewed and conform to the image of Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What Does the Bible Say About Swearing and Cursing?

By Betty Miller

Matthew 15:1:1 "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Matthew 15:17-20: "Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man."

Curse Words Reveal the Condition of a Man's Heart

Jesus taught in the Bible that when a man curses or uses profanity it is a sign of evil that was in that man's heart. It is popular today for both men and women to curse. They never think of it as an evil condition in their heart, but rather a small thing that everyone does. These small words of cursing the Bible says, will defile the whole man if they are not repented of and stopped. Cussing and using the name of the Lord in vain causes one to become defiled.

Popular movies and T.V. are responsible for causing society to accept foul language as the "norm." They portray cursing as a way to vent anger and tell people off. The very attitudes behind cursing show that it is not right as cussing is used to demean and put down people. These words can be mild expletives to horrible blasphemies. Since the devil is the one who inspires these evil utterances he causes people to use our Lord's name in the most ungodly ways.

In the modern definition of cursing, usually people use the name of Jesus or God in vain and swear with curses such as "go to hell" or "damn you." These words clearly show it is an evil coming from the devil. Have you ever wondered why people do not not use the names of gods of other religions when they curse? The names that the devil hates and uses people to voice hateful curses are "God," "Christ," "Jesus Christ" and "Jesus." Terms about hell and heaven are also used in derogatory ways. The very misuse of these words should prove the existence of God and the reality of a heaven and hell.

Even Christians have been tricked into using bad expressions when they are upset. They are take-offs of the Lord's names such as: "Geeze" or "Jes" (short for Jesus), "Good Gosh," "Gosh Darn," "Lordy." This is known as "shoot cussin." There are other terms used, which we will not repeat, as they are vulgar profanities. However, these illustrations make the point.

Many good movies have been ruined for Christians because the script writers thought adding profane language (which they refer to as adult language) somehow made the movie more relalistic. Adults nor children should use bad language if we are to be like our Lord. We do not have to use curse words to emphasize our intentions.

Colosians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."

Matthew 5:37: "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

If swearing and cursing have been a problem in your life ask the Lord to forgive you and deliver you so that your words may be good and loving words full of grace and truth. He will help you overcome this problem through His power.

Matthew 12:34-36: "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."

Psalm 19:14: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

This article was taken from the Overcoming Life Digest (May/June 2000 Issue); click here to view Digest

Cory

Yeah I think the F word was used in french courts as another word for rape. My english 12 teacher told me that along time ago.

Ok so far this is what I have come up with.... I found another christian forum about the same topic. This is the forum if anyone is interested. the forum

Ok so here is what I have gotten outta this so far.

1. (Matt 12:36) But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. (37) For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

I think if your willing to take that chance then go for it.

2. Still, God wants us to try. Listen to this: "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" (James 1:26)

No, curse words are stupid and sound disguisyting thats how you can teel they are curse words. And they have obscene meanings.

I have always been of the understanding that any word used out of context is a curse. For example if you hit your thumb with a hammer and cried out "bananas" then you would be using that word as a curse. But popular culture defines what are the "standard set" of generic curse words. For example the word b4stard 100 years ago was a staple of the dictionary meaning illegitimate child, but now has been distorted into a curse word probably due to people mockin illegitemate children initially.. then expanding its use to whenever you want to curse at someone.. I dont knwo this for fact of course but it seems logical enough.

As for cursing.. just dont do it.. its rotten. The overflow of the heart is what the mouth speaks.. If all that comes from your mouth is *%$"$£%** then it doesnt give a good reflection of your heart does it..

The admin has spoken!

I agree with him or her for once, Just dont curse, its nasty and shows that you are full of crap
tounge.gif

Back