Wii-Fit - a post-exercise review

rizz

Well i have owned Wii-Fit for a while now and my little fat mii is telling me i have been playing for 60 days. Getting weighed each day and maybe doing some excersies. So i thought i would give a more comprehensive review to give people more idea about whether to buy the game or not.

Initial: The fun factor.

For the first few weeks you will find wii-fit great fun. All the games are challenging and entertaining. The different yoga poses and workouts are good fun to do. Unlocking the full set will keep you busy for a few days. For a while i was averaging 30mins - 1hour daily on the board.. just mixing up playing games with working out.

Middle: Persistence.

The games are all but compelted. There is no desire to do the tightrope game at super-hard. Persistence continues with the fun step game. Trying to achieve a perfect score. Other than that, the main time is taken doing jogging (we have a small stepper so i use that while wii jogging) and the muscle challenges which cause much aching. Time never goes above 30 mins and ac tivity is every other day.

End: Scales & hope.

Now i have got 100% on the step game, i pretty much only fire up the wii-fit to measure my weight each day (and find it unchanged).. occasionally i will do 30 mins jogging on my stepper. My wife has convinced us to join a gym for a month so that has become a source of fitness. The wii-fit has become little more than an expensive set of scales. Still, i do switch it on for a bit every now and then. Plus inviting friends round to try it out is quite hilarious.

Future: Rabbids.

While the wii-fit game is now of little use, there is much hope. The primary game to watch is Rayman Rabbids - TV Party. A game where you can use your behind to control the rabbid! And there are other games leaking out that may become classics with the unique controller that is the wii board. (whose batteries have still not run out - a first for a nintendo product)

Verdict: fatkins

So looking at all my graphs, i have lost about 1lb in 60 days. Now in fairness, this is down mainly to my fondness of cake, our weekends "off the wagon" and our trip to california more than the exercise regime of wii-fit. When exercising on the machine regularly and avoiding the sugar, i found that my weight did steadily decrease at a rate of about 3lbs per 2-3weeks. So if done "as part of a calorie controlled diet" then it is a good tool. But i would recommend it only for people who are serious about losing some pounds, and probably have another primary form of exercise.

Still, it was fun while i was into it and definitely worth the cash. The product value is mainly due to the longevity of the game if you treat it as an exercise program, and the fact the board is going to be used in many cool games in the future. In summary.. if you want the board find it on ebay for cheap. If you want to lose weight.. join a gym.. if you can afford it, get the wiifit too and monitor your progress accurately along with a few extra fun exercises.

Just one pound? :p I say your Wiiboard is broken. Get a new one and cheat your way to a healthy lifestyle!

Yes.. I started at 12st 11lbs (179lbs)... I have gone down to 12st 6lbs (174lbs) but have put most of it back on...lol. I am currently trying to get back into the "normal" BMI as i am teetering in the overweight section.

if you can afford it, get the wiifit too and monitor your progress accurately along with a few extra fun exercises.
IF you can find it for sale at a local retailer or online store. I wasn't able to find a single copy anywhere in the city a week after launch and I haven't bothered trying since.

Even if I were to find a copy, I might let it sit on the shelf. Spending $90 USD on a Wii game while both my wife and I are unemployed doesn't seem very wise.

:(

Back