Windows source code...what if?

SLAM

I wanted to get some insights into this. What do you all think would happen if someone were to suddenly leak from Microsoft the Windows XP (or other version) source code in its entirety, making it available to the public without any way to stop it from spreading?

i think its so bloated and confusing it would do noone any good
biggrin.gif

XP would might be pretty useful for China or somewhere where people have no rights... Its probbably well docummented like this:

//this is the code that lets us see everything you do...
[code code code]
//this is the code that lets us start to control your actions...
[code code code]

Heres a secret though: I actually have the windows source code! here it is:

if (on==yes) { crash;}

smile.gif

At first, people will just seek out bugs in the code and say "See. Look at this." But after awhile, there may actually be some great stuff that comes out of it.

hate to break it to you, but the only thing that hasn't been done better and easier on other OSes is the whole "Spy on you"-office™, which is in XP. There are some neat things in 2000, but that is a decent user interface, not spectacular code.

Windows has nothing going for it, but people don't like change. I really would like to see linux become as easy as windows was. Then you know, things might work. That might put my dad out of a job though, or maybe lighten his work load (he fixes problems with computers... sometimes they are real windows problems, othertimes its just people's incompetitence).

On a side note though, Windows (up to) 3.1 kicked arse.

I still occasionally mess around with Win3.1. It's just cool :). Why can't we get the src for that?!?

Lagalott - But that's one of the things about having open source. People CAN start making neat things and making things better.

Why do you guys like Windows 3.1? I was so happy when Windows 95 came out. They finally started moving in the right direction. Although, now looking back, 95 was trash. It definitely has a transitional feel and lots of missing functionality.

I 0wn a 386 and 486 of my own. Why? I think that in some ways, things were better back in those days. Maybe not easier or as effective, but better nonetheless. I keep such equipment and software around as a constant reminder of the days where everybody and their brother wasn't claiming to be a "computer expert" because they somehow figured out how to get rid of the preview pane in Outlook Express, or buy something on eBay, or chat in three windows at once in AOL. It reminds me that being 1337 means far more than that. You have to truly know your stuff, and know where you came from.

These days, I think the true 1337 are looked down on more and more by the general community because they're "playing" on computers so much/antisocial blah blah blah. In truth, we're the only ones left who really care to live what we know. Everyone else just doesn't understand the things we know. Now that they can get on the internet with a couple of clicks and buy something online and e-mail their friends, they think their skills are equal to ours, with the added benefit of being able to down several cases of beer and work on their cars.

I face the same thing on my boat. A few people have actually shown a curiosity, if cynical, in "how I can possibly be on the computer that much." I can answer, if I like. I run four websites with two more on the way, I program in Visual Basic, RapidQ, and I'm in the process of learning assmebly, I've done some graphic artwork and have done level design for three or four years with [however many] maps released, I'm active in [however many] online communities, I run an internet radio station, and sometimes, not as much as before, I play some games. Occassionally I give that answer, to receive a kind of blank, misunderstanding stare, followed by "you need to be more social," or "you need to get laid." Apparently, the theory that people can be accepted for doing the things that make them happy is a myth. The real problem is that these people don't want to understand how I could possibly live some lifestyle other than theirs and still be happy. Oh well. Maybe they'll figure it out one day. Until then, my reply will be, "Meh. n00b."

w0w...got totally led off track there, but I'm glad I got that out. Okay...enough gripping about pop-culture normality :). Back to the topic.

Hmmm...interesting SLAM. I've never really ran across anyone who thought negatively of computer skills or thought they were an expert because they knew some little tricks. But then I'm in the software industry, so most everyone I know spends their time coding and with computers...

I've still got two 486's (one laptop and one desktop). Never use 'em. I may set the desktop back up to play old games, but I've never gotten around to doing that. Oh, and the desktop has Win95. The laptop has 3.1.

It's like you said. What you enjoy doing just doesn't match with what they expect. I mean, I have ZERO interest in sports and watching them. I have a hard time relating to people who place their lives in that. My enjoyment is playing a good mission in Half-Life or Jedi Outcast.
wink.gif

There ya go. I might have had a hard time relating people on a sports level before, but I could get along with anyone I met. Anywhere I went, I had respect almost immediately for that, but also for my skills. These people just want to try to change who you are under the guise of "just trying to help you, man." Bull. That's an attempted guilt trip if I've ever heard one. Help me "what?" I'm perfectly happy where I am, thanks, and if I need any "help" I'll ask for it. Turns me off even more from even trying to relate to them. Not that I should be trying to. It's not like they make any attempt to relate to me. I've never once asked them to understand how I do what I do. All I asked is that they understand why I do what I do. If they can't understand that...it's their problem, not mine. Sorry if I'm gripping too much. Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated with my environment?

sarcasm/
Yayyy... Let's punish them for succeeding by stealing from them!
/sarcasm

Eon

More like punish them for stealing by stealing from them, if you want to break it down to that. Windows would be far better if there were other distributions of it, as it is with Linux. But that would require Microsoft to share and give. Heaven forbid.

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
-Antitrust

So, by not giving their property to others they're stealing?

Eon

Yes, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I was refering more to the fact that they stole the technology from Xerox and Apple.

Having programmed on those early Xerox Windowing machines I can tell you it was horrible. I had already been using the Macintosh OS for 4 or so years and it was a MUCH better environment. I had one college class on window programming...it was on the Xerox machine...when the class was over I said "I'm never touching that machine again." And the next quarter, the class was being taught on Sun workstations.

I later taught myself windows programming on a NeXT and did my Senior Project on a Macintosh. Wow! What a difference from the Xerox machine.

All this to say, even though Jobs and Gates may have taken the idea from Xerox, they created a much cleaner interface.

Antitrust's premise was that NURV was stealing code in illegal ways by killing the owner of the code. I don't think you would ever see an "Antitrust" type case being filed against Microsoft. Microsoft is so big that it legally buys the rights to competing software than either scraps it or integrates it into its systems.

This is true, on both accounts, guys. But can you imagine how much better things could be these days if there were different distributions of Windows competing against each other? They'd all have to maintain each others' standards, and at the same time, see who could come out on top as the pmost stable, the most secure, and the most user friendly distribution.

Actually you end up with a horrific fragmented mess. Speaking as someone who used to do Tech Support back when there was X-Dos, PC-Dos, MS-Dos and other flavours to boot, I can tell you that none of the things you assume used to be the case.

Instead hardware and software manufacturers picked and chose arbitarily which of the various standards they could be bothered to adhere to, and disregarded the rest.

Eon

Granted, those were in the days when there were no start-up standards to go off of. Now that things are a little better rooted, admittedly, thanks to Microsoft, I see more room for different distributions to take off. It's happening in Linux, at least.

Back