Wish me luck!

ChickenSoup

Banned
I have entered a writing contest, peopleZ! The rewards of which are a substantial college scholarship (20,000 dollars for first prize, 5k per year, and then gradually declining amounts until fifth prize which is still 6,000 dollars, not cash of course). That'd be AWESOME! less work for me hehehe... but anyway it has to be 15k-25k words with around 15 chapters and it has to be action-packed w/o gore (awww....) because the book would be intended for 8-12 year olds (tweens) and first prize, besides $20k in scholarships, would have the book be published with a $1000 royalty advance thingmobob.

...now I just have to find out what to write about. :p

Write about a monstrous blob of chicken soup destroying servers across the country. ;)

Oh wait - that's not fiction...

Very cool C$, glad to hear you're entering. Even if you don't win it will still be a great writing experience for you, so you've got nothing to lose except time (and considering your spam/post average on cgalliance, you obviously have a LOT of that to spare. :p )

Seriously though, please feel free to pm me for any specific advice, and I'd recommend posting at least the first chapter here to get feedback on it (as long as that doesn't violate you contest's rules). The only other advice I can think to give you at this point is to go to your school library, approach the librarian (yes this will probably freak her out but she'll get over it once she sees you're not packing) and ask her to put into your hands the five best and most interesting books she has for that age group, including at least one book which appeals particularly to boys. Or you could do the same at your public library if that's more practical. Then READ those books, every one, cover to cover, whether you like the book or not. Learn from what the writers do, pay attention to their style and approach. Not so that you can copy those styles and approaches, but so that you can get inspiration as well as general ideas about what is conventional for fiction written for that age category. And so you can have a basis of comparison for your own work.

Paul

Forgot about this thread lol :p

Anyway I'm not supposed to put it out anywhere or attempt to get it published until I know if I've won or not (October)

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a story on my computer.

j/k. It's coming along.. it's harder because it has to be for tweens, which means no great scenes with enemies slinging heads to lower morale...

Back