WoW Dedicated Server?

Plankeye

I was looking for an application over on sourceforge and noticed the following in the active project list:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wowpython/

It is a WoW dedicated server.

Any word on this from you WoW insiders? It would run on our game server which would be awesome to have a ToJ WoW Game server. Sort of like the Zion game server we had back for Star Craft.

My understanding is the server would be very limited they Don't have any of the Server side code and would basicly be making all the quests and non clinet based things themselves...
I mean it took them like 3 years to make a decent UO server and it still was terrible compared to the one you pay $10 a month for.

Most MMORPG also have stipulations in the License agreement that say using non official shards is Illegal so it is likely to be shut down.

I understand. If they ever make it worthwhile and don't get sued and you guys would be interested in it, just let me know.

Even if we were to build a standalone WoW server, it wouldn't be worth the resources used to host the server. Even if private servers sprung up here and there, the overwhelming majority of players would still play on the official servers. Why? Because a MMORPG is no fun alone, or with only five or six people spread out across an entire world. Plus, you have patches to consider.

So while it might be good for testing (maybe), I'd suggest abandoning the project.

Zion, on the other hand, was an entirely different creature. Also, battle.net was a festering bowl of dog snot when we first brought Zion online. It has improved, though it could still stand for more improvements.

Yeah, WoW emulation is dead. It is a violation of the TOS of blizzard and they are killing any of these types of projects.

Yeah. Back to what Tek said, it's really not worth it create a personal server for a game as big as WoW. However, if our group ever wants to party alone we can always enter an instance and do a run in there. Instances are private to the groups who make them.

Back