Yep more newb questions from thul

FiremanThul

I made a hunter and warrior as a break to leveling thul. Warrior is already 18 and is currently primarily arms with 3/3 imp heroic, 2/3 imp rend, 2/2 imp charge, and I also have 2/5 in the crit strike talent (can't remember name, in the fury tree)

I'd like to know good leveling builds and or good end game builds for both classes. As I level I like to put points in talents that give me both instant benefit as well as set me up for future benefit, thats how I've always leveled thul, may not be right but seems to work so far for me.

Anyhoo, any help would be appreciated.

There are two basic builds for leveling warriors: arms/fury or fury/arms. If you like 2h weaps, go arms; if you like dual wielding, go fury. Generally, most pvp warriors use arms and 2h weaps w/ Mortal Strike. These weaps cause big bursts of dmg. Dual wielding causes a more constant, steady, decrease in health vs chunks at a time.

Do you prefer 2h or dw? How much pvp are you going to do with him? What are your plans for him once he hits 60 (ie, tank or dps)? Answer these and then we can give you suggestions.

I can't give advice on hunters.

I like to pvp with all my chars. I am confused with when to duel wield and when to use 1h/sheild. I've been using 1h/shield since level 1 and kinda like the block, but really I'm a warrior newb and don't know what i'm doing..

When DWing, you do more damage, but your miss chance increases by (or to) 25%, and you’ll take more damage since you don’t have a shield thus requiring increased downtime. When S&Bing (Sword and Board), it takes longer to kill a mob, but you take less damage, therby less downtime. It’s about a wash. Personally, I prefer DW unless I’m actually tanking; if I’m starting to take lots of damage, I can easily switch to S&B.

I recommend going fury/arms. The fury tree focuses on DW capabilities and crits and is all about killing things quickly; the quicker they die, the fewer hits they land on you. A couple weeks ago, I saw a DW fury warrior top the dps charts in MC, handily beating our usual top dpser (a rogue). I leveled my tank this way, and if I hadn’t planned on making him protection spec, I’d have left him fury. Another advantage of DW is you’ll keep your one-hand weap skills up if you ever switch to tanking.

Look for gear with the following. +hit is the most important, the rest is all a close second, IMO.
1. +hit
2. +crit
3. agil
4. AP and STR (1 str = 2 AP for warriors)
5. stam

Key talents I went for, mileage may vary:

Arms:
Imp HS
Imp Rend
Tact Mast (saving rage while stance dancing is important)
Anger Mgt (after taking this, I found I didn’t need it much, but it has its uses)
Deep Wounds
Impale

Fury:
Cruelty
Unbridled Wrath
Blood Craze
Piercing Howl
Imp Battle Shout (ALWAYS keep BS up)
DW Spec
Enrage
Death Wish
Flurry
Bloodthirst

One other thing. Warriors are very gear dependant. If you find yourself tanking much, you’ll want to keep some +def, dodge, stam, armor gear with you.

the difficulty in being an arms/fury (or fury/arms) spec and trying to tank is that you're set up to use 2H weapons. Typically, healers want you to use 1H/Shield because of the extra damage reduction, block, etc.

Further, some of your cool talents will require you to be in battle or zerker stance (IIRC) and the tank should generally be in def stance for a majority of the battle, because it further reduces your damage taken, as well as increasing your threat generated.

Possible? Yes. Many main tanks have more than 1/2 of their talent points spent in the arms or fury trees... but still keep 10-25 points back for protection talents.

Back