Daggerfall

RiverTigress

Continuing my habit of playing games that no one else plays, I reinstalled Daggerfall tonight which has been my favorite game for almost a decade now despite its antiquity. I decided that I've been putting off doing fun things for too long being sidetracked by other things and it's making me grumpy, so I'm taking time to go back to things I know I love to refind my happiness again.

ohh Darkfall...I so need to play that again.
If only I still had my copy of Wizadry8, that was the best ever and still is.

Well you can get the first two of the series as a free download at the link in my first post, but those ones are DOS era games (you know, big pixels and all) which isn't everyone's cup of tea. The first more modern game of the series is Morrowind, though Oblivion may be the better one to start with if you've never played any of them before. Each game after the first takes place in a specific province and Morrowind is rather bleak. Oblivion takes place in the capital area of the empire so you'll get a better feel of the overall lore from there.

I meant Daggerfall.
I reinstalled it via your link above. Wow that was fun to configure Dosbox. Reminded me of all my early life gaming.
Woah I don't remember it being that hard to maneuver. Is there a way you set up your controls that works well?

I meant Daggerfall.
I reinstalled it via your link above. Wow that was fun to configure Dosbox. Reminded me of all my early life gaming.
Woah I don't remember it being that hard to maneuver. Is there a way you set up your controls that works well?

Ah ok, two completely different games, didn't want you to be too disappointed. :)

As for the controls, I set up all the commands you might use while running to circle around the arrow keys on the normal keyboard layout for now. I usually use control for stealth and shift for run because those are easier to hold down while maneuvering, but I also have a zboard and a nostromo so I can change out keyboard plates for more optimization later if need be. I know that back in the old days the regular keyboard sufficed just fine, but modern mmo's have done some spoiling in that regard.

If you used the dosbox load sequence from the elderscrolls site, there is one line of it that is wrong. The correct sequence should be:

mount c c:\dosgames -freesize 1000
mount d c:\dosgames\dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
c:
cd\dagger
fall z.cfg

I also had to change a graphic setting in DosBox config to get the display right, but if you're not seeing any problems with that you probably don't need to.

so you dont use the mouse while playing and you use the number pad keys? Or am I still confused?

I forgot how cool it was to pick the home town and all the different race/classes.

Oh, are you using the default interface it starts out with? I always ditch that first thing and use full screen, mouselook mode so I use the mouse for looking, turning and fighting, and the arrows for forward and back movement and strafing. Since I'll always have my hand on the arrow keys for that, I set up all the other buttons in the area surrounding it. I don't use the number pad because numlock is disabled in the game for some reason, but I use shift, ctrl, all the surrounding punctuation, and the home, end, ins, del, page up and down keys.

Ohh thats what I needed, thanks. The mouse look setting made all the difference. Now I am rocking it! Killing bats n rats.

Screenshots for anyone who hasn't played the game before and would like fair warning about what they would be getting into:

Inventory.jpg

Worldmap.jpg

Town.jpg

Townspeople.jpg

It may not look like much, but the specialness is in the game's feel. The combat is visceral, the dungeons are scary, and the quest system makes you feel like an actual participant in the world rather than some outsider travelling through. This is from back in the days where RPG's were more about real character building rather than being carefully led through someone else's story.

Adding the commands to the dosbox autoexec area makes it so you dont have to type those 5 strings each time.

I rolled a custom spellsword type, character creation is pretty fun, I did the individual first then 12 questions in order to pick some specific things.

I forgot all about this game, bringing back memories at each corner.

I play as a Fighter's Guild aristocrat -- long blade + all the other combat support skills, etiquette and mercantile. Once out of the starting dungeon I go buy a good sword and a pretty dress and head out to the graveyards to rack up a good nest egg for future equipment and training. Then it's off to travelling the world being a hero. :D

Ah yes, the graveyards...
"A low ghostly moan shivers by. You smell of freshly buried dead."

Such memories. :)

Unfortunately I can't set up permacamp here yet. I still have to keep checking back in town for the letter from LB. But I've gotten a few nice pieces of Elven so far and an even prettier dress, so I'm happy.

Back