GFC Bible Study for the Book of Nehemiah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Now there are only 13 Chapters in Nehemiah so it becomes a bit trickier about posting. So here is what I plan on doing.

I think we should study one chapter per week and discuss our revelations here on the forum. Verses that stood out to us, insights we gained etc. If we get through this correctly, we should finish the book the first week of April.

Whether anyone else joins or not, I am going to try and post at least once a week to this thread starting on the 4th.

Hope to see everyone posting here as they are able!

God Bless!

Yay for Nehemiah -- the guy who went and got something done for God because it needed doing, not waiting around for miraculous, supernatural powers or an angel to push him out the door to get him going. I think he also proved that one man's distress at God's interests being slighted was enough to bring about change rather than having to wait for a great outcry from all the people as a collective whole.

I started today (since today usually starts my week) WOW!!! I loved the first chapter. It really has me thinking. Can't wait to re-read it tomorrow too.

This is one my favorite books of the Bible so there's a danger of me getting pretty wordy about it if I'm not careful so I'll start small with this:

Nehemiah 1:3 And they said unto me, The remnant that are left of the captivity there in the province are in great affliction and reproach: the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire.
. . .
Nehemiah 1:11 O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.

Nehemiah's position of cupbearer wasn't a matter of him being some hapless disposable guy to be lightly thought of in defense of the king. In addition to the position being one the king depended on for his very life, it also entailed the bearer be able to be present at meetings of great importance and secrecy so the bearer had to be one in which the king had utmost trust in his integrity.

There were probably other people who were distressed about the state of Jerusalem, too, who might have wanted to do something for it at the time, but Nehemiah, having attended to cultivating his integrity and strength in the Lord early on without waiting for distress to motivate him, was in a unique position of ability to do something because he was then able to take his distress to the king who he had already earned trust and confidence with. Following the will of the Lord from the start and living for Him proactively rather than reactively is what put him in the position the Lord could use him the most.

Being as I have not read this book in many years, I approached in a similar manner to Proverbs.

Nehemiah 1:3 They said to me, "The survivors in the province, (H) who returned from the exile, are in great trouble and disgrace. Jerusalem's wall has been broken down, and its gates have been burned down."

Ponder - How many times have I let my enemies break down the walls that God has placed around me for security?

Nehemiah 1:6 I confess the sins we have committed against You. Both I and my father's house have sinned.

When was the last time I interceded for the sins that my family has committed against God.

Nehemiah 1:11 Please, Lord, let Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your servant and to that of Your servants who delight to revere Your name. Give Your servant success today, and have compassion on him in the presence of this man. [d]

How many times I have ended a prayer with "in accordance with Your Will instead of praying a prayer that is already in line with God's will and then asked Him to grant me His favor.

Much to ponder in this first chapter

one other thing that struck is that before Nehemiah did anything he went to the Lord in prayer.....good example to follow.

I hope to have some time tonight to write up my thoughts and reply to everyone elses. Sorry I'm late this week y'all. Its been busy!

one other thing that struck is that before Nehemiah did anything he went to the Lord in prayer.....good example to follow.

agree! Its usually the last thing I think about when I am busy with something. Which is sad....

6And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.
Nehemiah 8:6

Something about this passage makes me smile. I think its the way everybody prays to and worships God together. There is something sweet about coming together to worship our Lord!

Nehemiah 1:7 said:
7. We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses

I notice in his prayer that he does point out how the people as a whole have acted towards the Lord. He admits the sin (and admitting you have a problem is the first step to making a change. :D ) He cries out to the Lord and even while lamenting the sorry state of his people. Nehemiah also in the following verses takes hope in the promises that had been given.

His prayer is a huge model for those of us who want to see a change in our own nation. First admit that we have sinned, then grab the promises we have been given and hold tightly to them while we are transformed through God's power. :D

This is one my favorite books of the Bible so there's a danger of me getting pretty wordy about it if I'm not careful so I'll start small with this:

I don't think someone being wordy is a problem. :D Post away with your thoughts!

Nehemiah's position of cupbearer wasn't a matter of him being some hapless disposable guy to be lightly thought of in defense of the king. In addition to the position being one the king depended on for his very life, it also entailed the bearer be able to be present at meetings of great importance and secrecy so the bearer had to be one in which the king had utmost trust in his integrity.

Not only that, but the Cupbearer had to be trusted to not poison the drink after he tasted it. The job, while dangerous, was also one of great importance and would do as you stated, give him legitimacy to be in these secret meeting and also would show that the Israelites were also a trustworthy people. Think of how many Jews were in places of power after being forced into exile... (Daniel comes to mind)

There were probably other people who were distressed about the state of Jerusalem, too, who might have wanted to do something for it at the time, but Nehemiah, having attended to cultivating his integrity and strength in the Lord early on without waiting for distress to motivate him, was in a unique position of ability to do something because he was then able to take his distress to the king who he had already earned trust and confidence with. Following the will of the Lord from the start and living for Him proactively rather than reactively is what put him in the position the Lord could use him the most.

I also think that while many were distressed about the state of Jerusalem, they didn't know how or chose not to act on it, instead of trying to come up with a plan to rebuild, they simply whined about it...

How many times I have ended a prayer with "in accordance with Your Will instead of praying a prayer that is already in line with God's will and then asked Him to grant me His favor.

OR how many times have we just said a prayer asking for our wants instead of for direction as to where God wants us? ... This one made me think...

Much to ponder in this first chapter

Just wait till we start getting deeper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back