Preschooler Bibles

Patriot

My wife and I are looking for a good Bible to read with our young children (4 & 2). We have one but have been through it several times with them (we read at dinner) and thought we would see if we can find a different one (maybe a different variety of stories or just worded differently). Do any of you know good solid children's Bibles? (Not looking for something that you can formulate doctrine from - but that is itself built on the solid doctrine from the Bible)

Ah, my wife was looking at The Big Picture Story Bible. But the Action Bible, now that looks like it could be a winner. Especially having 2 boys.

Ah, my wife was looking at The Big Picture Story Bible. But the Action Bible, now that looks like it could be a winner. Especially having 2 boys.
Yeah I have all girls but they still enjoyed the Action Bible, we just finished it last week and they were so excited to see it to completion. It was easily the most violent/graphic thing they have ever seen, but then again it is the Bible...

No Hello Kitty or Barbie?
Hmm I have not found one in english yet. I did find a bible that looks like Hello Kitty was using it:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z77qB948H...SnCQjHJo-zA/s1600/Bible+study+markings+sm.JPG

A very good complement to those is the Christian Mother Goose http://www.christianmothergoose.com/.
I have been using this since it was first printed as a book to go with children's Bibles. I think our rather battered copy is now in my daughter's hands for safe keeping.

I kind of want to get the Action Bible for myself after looking at it!

Edit: Already ordered one! :)

Last edited:
I will add a third vote for the Jesus Storybook Bible. Though the Big Picture Story Bible. We have both of them. My wife was a Christian preschool teacher for a number of years. The Jesus Storybook is for children 4 years and up, though my wife has used it for 3-year-olds. The Big Picture works a little better for children 3 and younger. Though I will also add that we have been amazed how well our daughter site through me reading a chapter of my own Bible to her at a time.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Haven't decided on one yet, but I thought I would give you a little feedback.

The Jesus Storybook Bible, for whatever reason, gave me a bad impression. The small amount I read gave me the feeling that something was a bit off. I couldn't pin it down but I try not to ignore gut checks like that. I would have to read through the book in its entirety to determine if I was merely off my rocker and I don't want to spend money for something that I am not sure I want to use.

I have read it cover to cover 3 times now and found it to be the best children's bible I have ever read. I can not give this book any higher praise. The theology is very solid and it is recommended by many many quality pastors.

Here is a review by a very reliable and critical review site. He shares a reservation that may be what you felt.
http://www.discerningreader.com/book-reviews/the-jesus-storybook-bible
Perhaps that was it. I find writer embellishment to be distracting for myself even though it might not (although it could) be historically inaccurate. I especially take issue with people writing what God (or others) thought when that is not spelled out in the original text. I completely understand writing to the audience, but I don't think that should include additions where they are unnecessary (weren't the accounts/stories just fine with the original detail?).

I completely understand writing to the audience, but I don't think that should include additions where they are unnecessary (weren't the accounts/stories just fine with the original detail?).
Sure they are, but we are talking about preschoolers here. I tried both ways and one had them begging me every night to read the bible and the other had them finding distractions and asking what words meant every 5 seconds making for a painful experience on both sides. A preschool bible in my opinion should point them to Jesus and be a primer for daily reading when they are older. This book fits that to a T.

Just to be clear, I'm not passing judgement on anyone for using that book (I haven't read more than the first story myself). I'm just saying that I didn't feel comfortable with it after reading the first story (further confirmed by the review you posted). And if I could say it without sounding like an arrogant jerk (hopefully no one (Ewoks) thinks I am referring to them offhand when I say this - because I am only referring to myself), I like taking the time to teach my child meanings of words and increase their understanding. I want to challenge them (with their age in mind) and have them give thought to what we are reading.

Oh no offense taken, and I as well like to take the time to teach. I also like to actually accomplish reading something in the time allotted for reading and with my preschoolers that was quite a chore without the right materials. You should really read the whole book, it is fantastic.

Last edited:
Back