2D side scroller games

tomfoolery_79

Recently, I've been doing research and I thought "why not harness the power of the CGA forums to help me!!"

I'm looking for well done 2D side scroller games, preferably action/adventure or hack 'n' slash. For example a game like Shank. Trine would not be a good example because it's 3D flattened out to 2D.

This needs to be true 2D. Also, it doesn't have to be limited to this generation...anything of 16bit quality on up (I'm looking at you SNES)

I'm looking for games that have 1 of 3 things (but not necessarily having all 3)...

1) great story (either great story or a creative way they shared the story)

2) great gameplay (either combat or level design, etc)

3) graphics (fun and engaging art style or just awesome cutting edge look)

Thank you my christian brothers and sisters!!

Cave Story is awesome. Much <3 for Metroidvania games.

Cave story is also free. Just you don't get the extra steam features...

Thought I'd add that :)

Cave story is also free. Just you don't get the extra steam features...
...or support the amazing Pixel, who created the entire original game (music and graphics included) by himself.

Since you mentioned SNES, I would recommend Super Metroid, if you haven't played it before. It's one of my personal favorites.

You could also check out Lyle in Cube Sector, a game in a similar vein as Cave Story, although with less story and quite a bit harder (I thought, anyway). It's freeware.

I've also heard very good things about Eternal Daughter, although personally I've never gotten around to playing it. Also freeware.

Regards,

-H

Ummm, Steam charges $9.99, am I missing something? Where can I get it legally for free?
You can download the original Cave Story here. Make sure to grab the English translation patch by Aeon Genesis as well (unless you can read Japanese).

EDIT: But if you enjoy the original Cave Story, I recommend at least looking at the Cave Story+ product page on Steam for a list of added features.

Back