8 Years of History in 8 Days: Day 4 (May 23, 2007)

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
From a toj-general post dated March 26, 2002:
I just read this post on the Net-Games admin services page:

"2002-03-12 08:58:57 Hosting closes on April 4th connex

Due to ongoing problems and again 2 machines wrecked in the Servermove we have decided to close down our hosting services on April 1st. Please move your data off till then since we will keep no backups. (Not to you to speculate. This has abolutely _NOTHING_ do to with Blizzard.)"

When I said that our free hosting wouldn't last forever, I was thinking that we'd remain at Net-Games for another few months while we ironed out the donations system and new host. Now, we have to have EVERYTHING archived by April 1.

In order to do this, I'll need someone with a /home/ high-speed (cable or DSL) connection to contact me (either e-mail me or ICQ me) so we can arrange a time to archive the site. I've already archived our mySQL tables tonight, and will do so again the last night before hosting shuts down.

I'd like three separate backups, just to ensure that we'll be able to reconstruct the site when it comes time.

Archiving is the easy part. Moving into a new web space is the more complex part of the equation.

I've already decided on a host for our web space; their web site is located at: http://www.gearhost.com/ I've chosen the Gold Hosting plan ($9.95/month). But, of course, there's the matter of donations.

PayPal has not yet replied to the letter I sent a few weeks ago, and I doubt they will. It looks like we'll have to just start with snail mail donations and figure out the snail mail options as we go.

If you're interested in donating, then please e-mail me at tojdonations@gbronline.com and I'll reply with my home address. I'll be sharing the account with one other person; I haven't chosen my "financial accountability partner" yet, but I'll announce when I do.

I'd like to apologize for the frantic pace of the upcoming move. I should have kept up with the bulletins on the hosting site admin page on Net-Games, but failed to do so. *sigh* If I had paid attention, we would have known about this two weeks ago.

But, all errors aside, I hope to have the archiving finished by this coming Monday. Depending on possible donations, we may be moving into our new web space as soon as April 1.

Well, this isn't really how I wanted to end the no-budget era of Tribe of Judah, but "the Lord works in mysterious ways." Maybe He was getting upset with my lethargy to get use moved. *chuckle* I'll choose to look at this as a blessing in disguise and get to work moving ToJ into its new web site.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the matter; I've not yet contacted GearHost, so it's not set in stone that we'll host the site there.

And, just to make sure no one forgets: Donations are /not/ manditory. DO NOT feel bad if you can't or don't want to donate anything. I understand the squeeze on students; I graduated with my Associate's last May and will be resuming college attendance in the fall. I want /all/ members of ToJ to be blessed as a result of this organization. If you want to throw in a few dollars, then all the better. =) But it's not necessary, and members will NEVER be required to make donations.

I'll post more news as it becomes available.

-Tek

From a toj-general post dated March 28, 2002:
Okay. The site is transferred, and is now located at: http://www.toj.cc Everything's been transferred and implemented, except the Events Calendar. I'll be working on wrapping up the transfer tonight.

Also, an important note: I've shut down the forums we hosted at Net-Games. They are now located at: http://www.toj.cc/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi

If you spot anything that's not working, please e-mail me at tek7@gamebox.net. *chuckle* And yes, I know that I left the Hosted by Net-Games button up on the left sidebar of the main site. I'll get that tomorrow. =)

So, after five hours straight of web work, I do believe I'm going to eat some chocolate, play some games, and collapse. *waves* Good night!

-Tek

Back