a little reminder

Wirl

on to something new...
Just a little reminder of the reason we got them lights and trees in the first place.

Luke 2:6-18 (MsgB)
While they were there, the time came for her to give birth. [7] She gave birth to a son, her firstborn. She wrapped him in a blanket and laid him in a manger, because there was no room in the hostel.
[8] There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. [9] Suddenly, God's angel stood among them and God's glory blazed around them. They were terrified. [10] The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: [11] A Savior has just been born in David's town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. [12] This is what you're to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger."
[13] At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God's praises:

[14] Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.

[15] As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the sheepherders talked it over. "Let's get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us." [16] They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. [17] Seeing was believing. They told everyone they met what the angels had said about this child. [18] All who heard the sheepherders were impressed.

May each and everyone of you all have a Blessed and Joyous Christmas!

So true Pastor, so true.

To add:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. 3 Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil. 4 For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian. 5 For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Welll...technically Christmas originated from a pagan holiday that celebrated the winter solstice.  The Catholics went on their whole war on paganism and recast the holiday now known as Christmas as a Christian one, and celebrated the birth of Christ, who was actually born in March, on it. Yay for run-on sentences!

You are right Mr. Bill and how does that change that Jesus came down, was born to be the sacrificial lamb so that we could be reconciled to God?

Peon: It doesn't change that, I was just saying that Christmas did not originally come from Christianity and Jesus' birth

Hescommin: Oo, it would appear that I am wrong with my March statement. Apparently that is an old theory that has been largely discarded in favor of another which places Jesus' birth at the end of September. This site has a good description of how they arrived at that date.

Mr. Bill, you may want to get into specifics about Christ's birth, and you're right. He was not born in December, let alone December 25. But really, what's your point? That is still the day that has been set aside to celebrate it. And that is the entire reason behind the original post.

Eh, I only posted because he implied that Jesus' birth was where Christmas originated from. Just being my nitpicky self. But you're right: regardless of the reasons for its existence, the spirit of christmas that has become cultural over our history remains entirely intact. It shouldn't matter 'when' you celebrate something; what matters is 'that' you celelbrate. I'm just interested in Christianity's borrowing of other religions' traditions is all.

okee. GO [CHRIST-mas!] HAHA!
tounge.gif

Mr. Bill: I'll be the first to admit that Christmas is not Christian in nature. Generally speaking, there is a large movement away from Christmas within the right wing christian conservatives. (same with with Easter). While the Early RC church used it to make Christianity more palatable for pagans, it is not Christianity.

To say that if you are Christian, you celebrate Christmas would be an incorrent statement. The two are not synonumous. I know Hindus, Islamics and Atheists that all "celebrate" Christmas. So, this then leads to a more core question:

What does it mean to you to celebrate Christmas? Does Christmas mean something different to everybody? If it means somethng different to everybody, then does it matter what its roots are? Are you celebrating its roots or are you celebrating what it means to you?

Oh I'm well aware that not all Christians celebrate Christmas, and that many non Christians, myself included, do celebrate it. But to say that Christmas and Christianity are not synonymous is false; it is a Christian holiday. That fact, however, is often independent of peoples' reasons for celebrating the holiday. So yes, I agree that what essentially matters in celebrating the occasion is what it means to you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But to say that Christmas and Christianity are not synonymous is false; it is a Christian holiday.

But its synonymousity is a falsehood being perpetuated by popular culture. As you so intellegently pointed out, the roots of the holiday are steeped in pagan cultures. It is also not biblical. If Christianity is "biblical" then that which is not "bliblical" is not christian.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([toj.cc]hescominsoon @ Dec. 02 2004,8:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Dec. 02 2004,7:32)]Mr. Bill:   I'll be the first to admit that Christmas is not Christian in nature.  Generally speaking, there is a large movement away from Christmas within the right wing christian conservatives.  (same with with Easter).  While the Early RC church used it to make Christianity more palatable for pagans, it is not Christianity.

To say that if you are Christian, you celebrate Christmas would be an incorrent statement.  The two are not synonumous.  I know Hindus, Islamics and Atheists that all "celebrate" Christmas.  So, this then leads to a more core question:

What does it mean to you to celebrate Christmas?  Does Christmas mean something different to everybody?  If it means somethng different to everybody, then does it matter what its roots are?  Are you celebrating its roots or are you celebrating what it means to you?
you say right wing conservatives as if it is a miminimalistic movement.  It very well maybe as i have yet to hear of it.  Where is this movement noted at?  This would be interesting to research out..:)
Jahovah's Witnesses is a big one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Dec. 02 2004,10:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But to say that Christmas and Christianity are not synonymous is false; it is a Christian holiday.

But its synonymousity is a falsehood being perpetuated by popular culture.  As you so intellegently pointed out, the roots of the holiday are steeped in pagan cultures.  It is also not biblical.  If Christianity is "biblical" then that which is not "bliblical" is not christian.
I see what you are saying. I guess I have a problem with an ambiguous Christmas. Since, if it's not 'Christian,' then what is it? Plus as you said, while it is not 'biblical,' I believe that it is the sentiment of the people celebrating it that is most important, and those sentiments are generally Christian. Also, if you're going to play the 'taken from other religions' game in order to determine what does and does not pertain to the religion, there is not going to be much left that is genuinely Christian, as very little in it is original.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, if you're going to play the 'taken from other religions' game in order to determine what does and does not pertain to the religion, there is not going to be much left that is genuinely Christian, as very little in it is original.

Off topic and I wasn't playing it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since, if it's not 'Christian,' then what is it?

I already asked that

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does it mean to you to celebrate Christmas?  Does Christmas mean something different to everybody?  If it means somethng different to everybody, then does it matter what its roots are?  Are you celebrating its roots or are you celebrating what it means to you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I believe that it is the sentiment of the people celebrating it that is most important, and those sentiments are generally Christian.

That is quite a statement if you think about it.

Jeremiah 10:2 KJV Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3* For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4* They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Back