Account-wide achievements potential

Moredhel

So, I was looking for information on the WoW forums yesterday and I stumbled across a post that indicated Blizzard is looking into whether or not achievements should be account-bound, verses the current character-bound. While I think that there are some inherent exploitation issues with the idea, I think, overall, it has merit.

Blizzard's still of the opinion that you need to get gear on each character you want to progress with, but as achievements are not necessary to play the game, making achievements account-bound (and, also mentioned, pets and mounts) simply enhances the flavor of the game. Reputation rewards are moving in the same direction: Getting Exalted with Sons of Hodir now means that you'll be able to send the shoulder enhancements to any character that's eligible to receive it (read, Level 80) instead of forcing you to grind the rep on yet another character.

There are, of course, many titles and achievements I'd like to have shared with my Death Knight, some that can't be received any more because the way to get the achievement was long gone by the time I made it (Hand of A'dal for one).

Anyway, this seems like a rather fun topic to see what other people think.

I like the idea of account bound achievements but I think they should be completely separate from character achievements. For example if a person has earned the “Kingslayer” achievement on a character I would like to think that if I check out that character I will see the gear needed at that level and I would like to think that character is pretty skilled at playing that class.

Now if his other characters got it then you will see an under geared character running around with it and the person may not even know how to play that character with skill.

However if there was an account bound achievement for getting the “Kingslayer” achievement then maybe you earn a title “Family of Kingslayers” which you could use on your other characters if you wished showing you did complete the achievement on another character. They could even have different titles for how many characters you earned the title on, for example – you earned “kingslayer” on 4 characters then its “Merciless family of Kingslayers” as a title you can use on any of your characters.

They can do other account bound achievements like total kills (all characters), total titles earned (all characters), achievements for number of 80s, (or max level chars), one for having a cross fraction max level character etc etc

Anyway just some ideas, there’s lots of things they could do with account bound achievements, but personally I would like that would be an extra, not just shared character achievements across the board.

Back