Acti-Blizz restructuring, assigns new executive to Blizzard

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Blizzard Entertainment rounds out the fourth unit but interestingly, Blizzard's Mike Morhaime now reports directly to newly appointed chief operating officer Thomas Tippl, who in turn reports to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

"This is an important change as it will allow me, with Thomas, to become more deeply involved in areas of the business where I believe we can capture great potential and opportunity," Kotick said in the employee memo.
Source: Acti-Blizz restructuring, assigns new executive to Blizzard

Here's hoping Kotick and Tippl will have the sense to let Blizzard continue printing money with WoW and StarCraft II instead of interfering. We've already been asked to buy StarCraft II three times. Let's not push it.

EDIT: And in case you're hoping this is an April Fools Day joke: Activision quietly restructures senior management and internal organization [Updated]

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think we have seen an end to Blizzard as we know it, I have noticed a difference since Activision TOOK OVER...because that is really what they do...we all know it...

Yes, this should be great. It's not like Kotick hasn't bragged publically about having subordinates begging for funding they'll never get. Seems to be more of a PR move with SC3 on the horizon than one with any real impact. Sure I hope I'm wrong, though!

LOL!!!!!!

What?!?

Oops, 2. Maybe it was braingas where my I was thinking, "I can't believe they're going to charge people for 3 games!"

Of course, after that, I'm sure they'll follow up with SC3 within 6 months, followed by SC: Zergrush, SC: Dark Templars, and SC: Greatest Hits...where you can play your favorite maps from the first 3 SC2 games because you can't play them together in the original games.

Last edited:
It sure is annoying to see a company of their resources setting 75% of its workforce to doing nothing but churning out rehashed/licensed garbage. Clearly they have no intention of contributing originality whatsoever to the games industry, at least none that doesn't revolve around monetizing idiotic consumers.

Umm, according to Eyonix, who just left Blizzard (probably prompting the new Exec change), he's leaving because he's doing something involving the hedgehog.

It's WAY too early to say "it's the end of the Blizzard as we know it." I feel fine. The game has been going great guns -- greater guns than any other game -- and it's WAY too early to say it's game over.

Last edited:
Umm, according to Eyonix, who just left Blizzard (probably prompting the new Exec change), he's leaving because he's doing something involving the hedgehog.

It's WAY too early to say "it's the end of the Blizzard as we know it." I feel fine. The game has been going great guns -- greater guns than any other game -- and it's WAY too early to say it's game over.

Yes, it's too early to say it's the end.

But let's not kid ourselves about where all of the signs are pointing. Remember - Blizzard does not own or run Blizzard. Activision owns and runs Blizzard.

But the good news is...it really doesn't matter if they are done. That simply creates a market for smaller, more innovative companies who actually care about games and customers. And maybe some of those companies will hold off on selling themselves to Activision.

But the good news is...it really doesn't matter if they are done. That simply creates a market for smaller, more innovative companies who actually care about games and customers. And maybe some of those companies will hold off on selling themselves to Activision.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Harsh words.

While I have my nitpicks about World of WarCraft and while I don't look the idea of buying StarCraft II three times (though, to be fair, I don't recall any of us complaining when we had to pay $30 for Brood War), I think it's unfair to assume that Blizzard employees don't care about games or customers. All evidence suggests Kotick doesn't care about games except as profit-generating machines, but it's unclear (likely intentionally unclear, given Kotick's reputation among informed gamers) how frequently and to what extent Kotick and other members of Activision leadership exercise authority to override Blizzard head employees' decisions or make decisions for them.

As for innovation: Well, I'd like to see it, too, especially in the MMORPG genre. It's possible that Blizzard will introduce significant innovation in their as-of-yet unannounced MMO title. But even if they don't (and, being honest, Blizzard excels at improving on established ideas rather than delivering new ones), they've proven themselves capable game designers in the past.

Not everything Blizzard does is gold. WarCraft III multiplayer was a disappointment. The progaming scene, in general, seems to be hesitant to accept StarCraft II as an e-sports platform in its current state. And I don't know enough about Diablo III to nitpick about it.

But I think their reputation for making wildly popular games speaks for itself. It's hard to imagine only a minority, let alone zero percent, of Blizzard employees not caring about games or customers and still producing classic games.

I am sure that most Blizzard employees have a heart for creating great games, and I am not trying to imply that the people at the top make the whole company. They do run the company, though, and make the decisions. So I guess I'll clarify that when I refer to "a company", I'm talking about the people running it...because in all actuality, company decisions are made by those people.

Besides, a lot of the employees who do truly care about putting out the best game for the customer will hopefully migrate to a "company" that actually cares about games and customers. I know I couldn't stand working somewhere where it wasn't the case.

...I am not trying to imply that the people at the top make the whole company. They do run the company, though, and make the decisions....

Management does design what the company's culture is though. Thus, they do make the company. If Activision's culture is set up in such a way that the bottom line comes first, and perfecting a current genre comes second... you better bet they'll focus on the bottom line first.

Besides, a lot of the employees who do truly care about putting out the best game for the customer will hopefully migrate to a "company" that actually cares about games and customers. I know I couldn't stand working somewhere where it wasn't the case.

If the employees don't like the culture of where they work, they'll move and find more appealing culture elsewhere.

I love I/O Psychology! :D

I admit I am not following this thread much, but I know that what I wrote is true, and what I am perceiving from this thread is that Activision cares more about making money than great games.

If the employees don't like the culture of where they work, they'll move and find more appealing culture elsewhere.

You're neglecting that those employees may care for the *product* that they create. Example - client I'm working at now...people have been there upwards of 10 years, but the corporate culture is downright atrocious. Why do they stay? They were proud to create something that was substantial. It'll only go so far, but 10 years is a lot of staying power and self-induced torture for one to work through.

I would suspect that people involved in the initial WoW will hang on for quite a while barring internal activities getting completely out of control.

You're neglecting that those employees may care for the *product* that they create. Example - client I'm working at now...people have been there upwards of 10 years, but the corporate culture is downright atrocious. Why do they stay? They were proud to create something that was substantial. It'll only go so far, but 10 years is a lot of staying power and self-induced torture for one to work through.

I would suspect that people involved in the initial WoW will hang on for quite a while barring internal activities getting completely out of control.

There were a lot of things I was neglecting with that statement. I wasn't trying to infer that every good employee will move. Caring about the product, co-workers, location (game companies tend to be pretty spread out), family (again, location), wages, availability of new jobs, etc are all huge factors.

Another thing is that great middle managers can "shield" employees from a lot of bad things coming from above. This is the case where I work, actually. All I meant is that bad upper management is a negative factor in the workplace, and will be the breaking point for some.

Back