Alternative to YouVersion Android app?

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
The YouVersion Bible app was recently updated to require permission to GPS location. I have not updated since the permission changes in hopes they would reverse the changes, but it looks like they're here to stay.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to YouVersion for Android?

Last edited:
Logos asks for GPS permissions. Olive Tree doesn't.

Olive Tree wins by default. :p

Seriously, why does a Bible app need permission to access my location information?

Olive Tree is definitely the way to go. They have the best interface of the dozen or so Bible apps of have tried on my phone. Of course, I have also been using it since the days of PalmOS and the Handspring Visor 13 years ago. I have always been pleased with the company. They also have an app for Windows now, so any notes you take and Bibles/books you purchase will be available on either platform. Also, if you can wait, ESV, NASB, and HCSB Bibles have all been given away for free from time if you are willing to be on their email list.

Tek isn't there an option in the app itself on whether or not you want to use your location. The "permission" is so that it can access that if you let it. Otherwise you would end up with some system error.

You know you could always just turn off your gps which by default would keep apps from being able to use it right? Or just choose the setting to not allow apps to access your location.

Back