Am I going overboard with computers?

Corpfox

To recap, computers I've had, and some cases, still own...somewhere...

Many years ago
HP
Pentium I 133mhz
2 gig hard drive
16 MB ram
SVGA graphics
8x cd-rom

Several years before
Emachines
Celeron 633mhz
20 gig hard drive
192 MB ram (Upgraded)
32MB Nvidia PCI video card (Upgraded)
8x cd-rw
40x cd-rom

Few years before
HP
Athlon 2800+ 2.08 Ghz
80 gig hard drive
2 gig ram (Upgraded)
256 MB ATI Radeon 9550 video card (upgraded a year later, 256 MB ATI Radeon X800 XT PE)
40x cd-rw
8x dvd-rom

Currently using and possible upgrades
Custom built
Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 Ghz
250 gig hard drive (possible)
4 gig ram (possible)
X800 XT PE AGP (possible PCI-E video card, not sure though)
5x Dual Layer dvd-rom (possible)

If I was a millionaire, I would use 15% (due to reasonable donations) of the money towards a super updated non-existent future gamer pc. Though, thats just a dream. :D

To be more precise on my custom parts:

Case
Motherboard
CPU
Hard Drive
Ram x2
Multi-Rom?

Even for me, looks like I'm over-competing everyone...or I'm a addict to be upgrading the best of the best. :mad:

Nope. My friend's dad has a massive amount of computers. His basement actually glows from all the lights from the routers.

From what I saw, he had at least ten computers and a few routers sitting on his shelf. Plus, there was a 20-port rackmount router sitting there waiting to be used. =D

The cool part is, however, that he's the network admin for a Christian school around here -- for which he gets free tuition for all his kids as long as he holds the position.

Ive spent close to 2k this year so far, about to add another 2.1k on a new laptop :p

so in all rights that i only make 9.50 a hour, you dont do too bad

Computer:
Opteron 165 oc'd from 1.8 to ~2.4 (so my ram runs at cl2 ddr400 3/4 multi)
2gb ocz
2x 160gb
120gb
40gb
7600gt
Enermax 500w

If i kept all the old computers that people dont want...lets see id have a small cluster, and my parents would make me pay the electric bill...

I had close to 20 700mhz+ p3s at one point.

oh no thats nothing
right now i have a dell xps a samba server 2 laptops and about to build a new gaming computer and smoothwall firewall

You're doing fine. I'm still running my Micron P2 266, my Packard Bell P1 120 and 133, and my custom builts (333mhz AMD K62, 500mhz PIII, dual 933 PIII Slot 1, Athlon 1700+XP, and Opteron 148 machines.) I know the feeling with network equipment. I run a pretty good network out of my house (providing the nearby neighborhood with free broadband, as long as they talk to me beforehand, get a WEP key, and don't mind me checking on their activity to make sure only legal things run through my network.) Corpfox, it's not too many until you are told that your power bill has exceeded your mortgage or rent, the space taken has made your move your master bedroom to the garage, or the collective heat from all the processors is solely responsible for heating your town.

Back