Android app and game recommendations

Any gems among the freebies?

And what are the odds of a game being featured as the Amazon free app of the day twice?

Here and there. I was able to get Plants vs. Zombies for free one day, and I really like this one tower defense game called Fieldrunners. I haven't seen any apps featured twice, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Here and there. I was able to get Plants vs. Zombies for free one day, and I really like this one tower defense game called Fieldrunners. I haven't seen any apps featured twice, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
PvZ for free? I missed out!

And I've seen some headlines with "Fieldrunners 2" in the title, but I tend to shy away from TD games thanks to impatience. But I enjoyed PvZ, which is TD of a sort, so I'm not opposed to trying some of the best games in a given genre, even if it's a genre I usually don't care for.

PvZ for free? I missed out!

And I've seen some headlines with "Fieldrunners 2" in the title, but I tend to shy away from TD games thanks to impatience. But I enjoyed PvZ, which is TD of a sort, so I'm not opposed to trying some of the best games in a given genre, even if it's a genre I usually don't care for.

o0o I hope they offer Fieldrunners 2 for free at some point. I haven't beat Fieldrunners yet!

Related question: Are there any decent free games on Android?

Greetings
Thank You for all this great advice! My Nexus7 tablet is in transit and I don't know anything (well tablet-wise) so this is very helpful.

Can you really play WOW on it? But one thing about WOW that I really like is the different climates and the colours of the game. When its blazing hot, I love playing in the icy/snowy regions and when its -40 and totally white outside I love playing in the desert or the beautiful aqua water regions. And a larger screen helps with this illusion.

Related question: Are there any decent free games on Android?

There are some free games that are actually a paid game with ads (eg. Angry Birds, Draw Something, Where's My Water?, etc.). Paper Toss is fun. The Play Store has a section for "Top Free" Games if you want to check out what others are downloading.

So far, I've picked up Angry Birds Space, Where's My Water?, Cut the Rope, and Fluffy Diver. Those 4 should keep me occupied for a while. I'll probably pick up Where's My Perry? after I finish Where's My Water?

I'm waiting for Azkend 2 to go on sale (I had downloaded Azkend on my work phone when it was free) since $6 is a bit steep for a mobile game IMO.

I may also purchase Podkicker for downloading and listening to podcasts since DoggKicker doesn't have a demo and costs $5 where Podkicker Pro costs $3. I'm still disappointed that Pandora doesn't respond to Bluetooth controls (Play/Pause, Track +/-), but it's unclear whether it's an app-specific issue or a limitation of the Android OS. I guess I'll get a better idea when I try out the free version of Podkicker.

Last edited:
YouVersion Bible
SwiftKey
ES FIle Explorer
Opera Moblie (not opera lite)
Google Earth
Google Translate
Wolfram Alpha
Tunein Radio
MX Player and the codecs package for your phone
Tiny Flashlight + LED
Tinyshark
Z-DeviceTest
Zedge

baconreader if you use reddit

Apps for sites like PayPal, Newegg, amazon, facebook, twitter are also available.

If you root your phone:

rootdim
Rommanager
Voltage Control
superuser
busybox

Here is the XDA link for the nexus
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336
if you want to find out how to go about unlocking and rooting it

Heh, maybe now ForumRunner will gain interest. XD

No games are given because they kill le battery and distract me in class lol. There are also lulz apps that have memes, funny pics, and stuff that are good time wasting and make you laugh.

EDIT: DropBox if you have it. It makes really handy to upload your pics from your camera phone to your desktop/laptop. http://db.tt/7leLYpMm

Last edited:
/bump

Looking for non-Zynga multiplayer Android games to play with my wife. We both have the Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ so we should be able to run any Android game available.

__FIRST__

You MUST apply the PDroid framework patch to *maintain* control over YOUR data and YOUR privacy on your android device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1357056

It is NOT unethical to root YOUR hardware. It is unethical to pirate software.

__Second__

Do NOT support morally challenged software developers. They hock malware as freeware (liars). Any app showing third party internet ads are profoundly violating your privacy and dignity to profit vile people.

The cost of adware is TOO HIGH. Just say no.

_third_

There are now numerous f/OSS games available in the clean app repository:

http://F-droid.org

I recently picked up the Humble eBook Bundle and I'm now looking for an ePub reader for Android. Any suggestions?

__FIRST__

You MUST apply the PDroid framework patch to *maintain* control over YOUR data and YOUR privacy on your android device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1357056
Now that I've rooted my phone (to back up game save files, of all reasons), I may take another look at PDroid.

It is NOT unethical to root YOUR hardware. It is unethical to pirate software.
Agreed!

On an unrelated note: I'm back to looking for fun multiplayer Android games. I'd prefer a puzzle game NOT developed by Zynga (my own personal preference) and a paid game (i.e. not free-to-play with in-app purchases or ads).

Bumping this thread since Captain_Tea was also looking for multiplayer Android games.

Unfortunately, I don't have any multiplayer games for you. But I want to recommend three apps that I did not see mentioned before:

Dolphin Browser - by far the best android browser, unless you desperately need to limit data, then the opera one

Olive Tree Bible Reader - the app is free and there are many free books. A lot of the good stuff (i.e. modern bible translations) do cost money, but you pay once and own the book for as long as Olive Tree exists. There is no need to buy the book again for a different device. They started with Palm OS in the late '90s and have kept the same policies. Personally, I like the interface better than YouVersion.

Waze - I recently started using it in place of Google Navigation and am liking it better. Worth a try....

Now that I know this thread is here, I will look forward to the input about multiplayer games.

Last edited:
Rise from your Grave! (in the altered beast voice)

Yup I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Just wondering if anyone out there is playing android games.

Non-Game apps:
If you're rooted and don't have Titanium Backup you're doing it all wrong.
ES File Explorer - Great file manager

AppGratis - free app of the day
AndChat - IRC client
Copy - My favorite of the cloud storage apps for android Sign Up here for 20GB free space - Much better than the dropbox app imo and 20GB free instead of 2.
Sleep as Android - Best alarm clock app I've found

Now to the Games:

Plague Inc. - Fun game where you have to destroy humanity via a, well, plague
Asphalt 7 - Really enjoy this racing game, not bad for $.99 (If you play, add me Mr_Pheonix28)
Colony Attack - Decent little mmo. (If you play, add me Pheonix28)
Beat Hazard Ultra - I picked this up via Humble Bundle but I really enjoy the game. It uses your music (or it's own) to change the difficulty and power of your weapons.

Now does anyone else have anything?

Rise from your Grave! (in the altered beast voice)

Yup I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Just wondering if anyone out there is playing android games.

Now does anyone else have anything?

Archane Legends
Konundrum
Angry Birds StarWars
Random Majong
Glo Hockey

Those are what I play most...

There's so many games! Just going to the Play Store will make your head spin! If you guys find a good online multiplayer android game please share it with the rest of us.

I find myself having more time to game when my phone or tablet are my best or only options and its always more fun to play with friends...

Last edited:
Fairway Solitaire is on Android now, w00t! You can download the game for free then spend $0.99 for an in-app purchase to unlock the full game.

I've spent more time than I'd care to admit on Fairway Solitaire on iOS and can easily recommend this game at the price of $0.99.

Back