android apps

blackgravity

if anyone here uses and android phone, which phone/os version do you have and are there any apps you consider must haves?

i can say already the google shopper has gotten me in trouble checking prices for various places in stores where i'm not really planning on buying anything. :eek::eek:

i'm rather fond of the Schwartz Unleashed, myself :p

First app I play to buy if/when I get an Android phone: Magical Drop Touch.

And no, I'm not kidding. I've wanted to play a touchscreen version of Magical Drop (since the chances of a Money Idol Exchanger port or remake were effectively destroyed when Data East sued Face out of existence) for years now.

PS: Tek, I'm looking for you on MSN.
I'm on my personal IM accounts until after business hours these days. It helps me stay focused on the job search. I'm just on the forums during my "lunch break" and to reply to a few PMs.

First app I play to buy if/when I get an Android phone: Magical Drop Touch.

And no, I'm not kidding. I've wanted to play a touchscreen version of Magical Drop (since the chances of a Money Idol Exchanger port or remake were effectively destroyed when Data East sued Face out of existence) for years now.

downloading the trial now. only "game" i have is a wordsearch :p

I have a droid. Advanced task killer is a mudt if you want better battery management. Robot defense is a fun tower defense styled game and was pretty cheap. Another app I really like is wifi analyzer as it helped me find a non saturated wifi channel in my heavily populated neighborhood

I am using the free version of task killer. is the pay version better/worth paying for?

and as far as the robot defense, a comment i had read said they couldn't get incoming calls, which would kinda suck. will have to check it out anyway.

the wifi thing could come in handy, seems like 3g coverage kinda drops in the westerville area a bit

The pay one allows you to schedule when an application will terminate while the free one is up to you. If you are good at killing apps after you are done then the free one is great.

I have a Droid which I adore.

In addition to the standard things that come with it, I've downloaded the following:

Aldiko (an ePub reader)
gDocs (to read docs in Google Documents)
Advanced Task Killer (I use the free version)
FourSquare
Seesmic (for twitter)
Facebook
Project INF (multi-player game with CTF and DM modes)
gTasks (ties into Google Tasks)
The Weather Channel
Fandango
Dolphin Browser (multi-touch browsing FTW)

I have the Droid as well, I was considering switching over to a nexus one, until i found out it's just a flat $530 to buy the unlocked one direct from google. the droid only cost me $120 or something around there after rebates.

i downloaded the magic drop free version. it's pretty crazy.

i do use LiveScores a lot for hockey scores, it has some issues, but at least i can just SEE that the blue jackets are getting crushed instead of actually watching them lay down and die :-(

I also have a droid.

In addition to what's mentioned above, I use
Utilities:
* Slidescreen (full-on homepage replacement that gives always-there previews of mail, messages, RSS, facebook, and tweets)
* Keyring (store frequent flier numbers, etc)
* Math alarm clock (have to solve arithmetic problems to turn off alarm)
* Droid light (flashlight)
* Runstar (gps mapping)
* Car locator (tells you where you parked your car; can set it to auto turn-on when bluetooth disconnects from said car)
* Twidroid (twitter client)

Games:
* Abduction (motion-control cow-bouncing, totally addictive)
* Wordpop (tetris+scrabble, also totally addictive)

I have and think they're really cool but don't use enough to totally recommend:
* Goggles (google visual search)
* Layar (adds geotagged info to visual search)
* Google sky (sky maps)
* Mother TED (access to TED presentation)
* Remember the Milk (tasklist)
* Shazam (music recognition)

Back