Announcing Guild Wars 2 for Mac

blsimpson

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-for-mac-beta/?utm_source=client

Today we’re happy to announce another major milestone in the development of Guild Wars 2: going forward, ArenaNet will also be supporting the game on Apple’s Mac OS X. The Mac Beta client is available immediately for all Guild Wars 2 players. It shares the same features and connects to the same live game servers as the PC client. Anyone who purchases Guild Wars 2 can now play it on both PC and Mac.

This is great news! I may be able to get my wife to play now as she only has a Mac. And I couldnt get Crossover (Wine) to work at all for me..

Quick FYI, this is not a full port. It will be running over Cider, which is essentially tweaked Wine emulation of DirectX. That said, still great news for Mac folks...essentially you are getting commercial Wine support here for a large game, and getting it for no additional cost. We have bootcamp up and running, but will be switching to this if it runs smoothly.

I'm glad I didn't plunk the cash down for Crossover!

Quick FYI, this is not a full port. It will be running over Cider, which is essentially tweaked Wine emulation of DirectX. That said, still great news for Mac folks...essentially you are getting commercial Wine support here for a large game, and getting it for no additional cost. We have bootcamp up and running, but will be switching to this if it runs smoothly.

I'm glad I didn't plunk the cash down for Crossover!

True, but as long as its developer supported, and not third party supported, it should run ok. At least there will be better support for it.. As I said in the OP, I was never able to get CrossOver to work correctly. I got it installed, and could login, but was unplayable due to the artifacting. Im installing it now, so I will report back after its done downloading the hundreds of thousands of files.. :)

True, but as long as its developer supported, and not third party supported, it should run ok. At least there will be better support for it.. As I said in the OP, I was never able to get CrossOver to work correctly. I got it installed, and could login, but was unplayable due to the artifacting. Im installing it now, so I will report back after its done downloading the hundreds of thousands of files.. :)

Absolutely - developer support for this specific game is the key here. It will never run 100% as smoothly as native windows. However, I expect that all obvious bugs and artifacting will be priority custom fixes, which is fantastic.

FYI on those huge, huge files: if you already have it downloaded on bootcamp, you can copy the dat file from that partition to Guild Wars 2.app -> Contents -> Resources -> Transgaming -> c_drive -> GW2

In my experiences with WINE, Crossover, and Cider (when correctly wrapped), it's entirely possible for a game to run just as good, if not better in some cases, as if you were on windows natively (Cider more so than wine and crossover). Just wanted to say that... I've done a lot with these programs.

Now to see if it'll run on my i7 2012 11in macbook air :D

FYI on those huge, huge files: if you already have it downloaded on bootcamp, you can copy the dat file from that partition to Guild Wars 2.app -> Contents -> Resources -> Transgaming -> c_drive -> GW2

Now you tell me, after I deleted the CrossOver bottle it was installed in.. :p

In my experiences with WINE, Crossover, and Cider (when correctly wrapped), it's entirely possible for a game to run just as good, if not better in some cases, as if you were on windows natively (Cider more so than wine and crossover). Just wanted to say that... I've done a lot with these programs.

Now to see if it'll run on my i7 2012 11in macbook air :D

Awesome. It "should" run.. Those beat the specs that they are claiming now..

Any adventurous person going to install OSX on their hackintosh, and then run GW2 over that?

Downloading the client now. Once installed I'll post my info in the recruitment thread.

Running it on a i7 iMac with a 2gig ATI and 16gig RAM.

Played for about 10 minutes before the baby started asking for my attention.. :)

Works really well. I needed to lower the resolution though, the retina made it way to small. I didnt have any artifacts, and I couldn't see a difference between this and my Windows desktop.. :)

Runs well on the air. Everything is on low though, so it isn't the most pretty site, but it works.

Back