Anub'Arak - ToGC 10 - Heroic

Avesther

Downing of Anub'Arak - ToGC 10 - Heroic

The quality of the video should increase within the hour of posting as Youtube re-renders the video. Even though I rendered and uploaded it using the same renderer and codex's they use. Just dumb!

Heroic 10 man Anub'Arak - Detail of strategy used.
The goal: Power through Anub'Arak so that he submerges only once. Take him down to under 60% before submerge.

We initially tank Anub'Arak (AA) where he spawns, at the north of the theater. In heroic, you only have 6 permafrosts to use for the whole fight, so managing them is important. We place a permafrost on AA's feet. When the burrowers spawn, the off tank picks them up and moves them to the permafrost. We maintain DPS on Anub and position him so that splash damage from AOE attacks will kill the burrowers. The burrowers for us will die just before the second set spawns. The second set is off tanked at the same place.

Just prior to submerge, the main tank moves Anub away from the permafrost to help avoid an accidental busting of the permafrost. At which point the entire raid begins to make their way to the south end of the room, where two more permafrosts will be dropped by the designated person. One needs to be dropped to the East South East and the other to the West South West. When Anub submerges, he will randomly pick a raid member to follow. That person is to continue to the south while the non-targeted people run back to the north and help down the last of the burrowers if they are still up. The targetted player needs to run behind a permafrost (not through it or stand on it) but position themselves so that the spikes have to go through the permafrost to reach him.

Once the spikes get break the permafrost, he will target somebody else in the raid (hopefully not the same person), who will be at the north end of the room. At the north end of the room, drop another permafrost for Anub to be kited through. Once he selects the second member, he will start chasing them with the spikes. Everybody else heads back south while the targeted person situates themselves so the new permafrost is between them and Anub. Once he breaks that permafrost, he will again target somebody else to the south and the process starts again. Everybody not targeted heads north, the targeted person situates themselves behind the permafrost. Once Anub breaks the permafrost, he will start to head north. We found that he will emerge before he breaks the 4th permafrost if you have used the entire room.

Once he emerges, move him to over a permafrost as at the beginning of the fight. As the burrowers spawn, tank them on the permafrost in such a way the dps on Anub will splash to the burrowers and they die before or as the next set spawn. In the heroic version, the burrowers continue to spawn even after the 30% milestone. If our DPS is good enough, this rotation is going to work wonderfully. Once 30% hits, use all your trinkets, heroism \ bloodlust and anything you have to get ahead of the healing done by the swarm effect. Otherwise it is exactly like normal except instead of 10% health leeched, it is 20%. The biting cold makes i much more difficult to heal.

Practicing this strategy on normal mode will help you get the required muscle memory to do it on heroic.

Last edited:
Practice makes easy? It isn't a hard fight, it is just being confident in your skill (to deal with random factors), getting in practice (to get muscle memory).

Ever since I've started raiding in BC I've never seen any fight to be "hard" it's just that later fights in raids usually tend to provide more opportunity for raid members to make a mistake by just tossing a bunch of variables at you. I've been looking at some of the fights in ICC and some of them look a bit crazy.

By the way Aves, good job.

And it looks easier then it is ;) Chalice joined this evening and tanked it all and found that even though she knows what this fight looks like, it doesn't mean it can be as easily done.

If you want to see a fairly humorous progression kinda one man left standing video - this is our first kill of Anub 10 heroic taken from our pally healer's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1sacAD20zE

We incorporate the same main elements of strategy. After our first couple of attempts we took our druid who is normally our Boomkin and had him offtank the burrowers and took our warrior offtank who went to an MS/Fury spec to keep MS up on Anub during the third phase. It seemed to help quite a bit - we don't have a rogue or hunter in this 10 man team - although it did hurt mine and the mage's dps.

Our execution doesn't look as crisp as yours (e.g. bear taking the second northern permafrost) so if you don't mind I'd like to post this on our guild forums. Also, approaching Phase 3 notice our offtank bouncing out real quick and brezzing our resto druid before picking up the 2nd set of adds. In our kill myself (Shadow Priest) and the shaman were the only two alive when he went down, but I died immediately after from Penetrating Cold. We did, however get a tribute chest as it was our 12th attempt for the lockout so I call it a win!

Thanks!

Phaith

Last edited:
It is definitely a practice makes better thing. You can post it for use. Knowledge of fight mechanics helps too. For example, Anub does NOT wipe threat. So when he emerges, he'll go back to the tank. The tank just has to position themselves in the right place. Random factors can screw up anything. Your video shows the MT moving Anub away from the permafrost much more pronouncedly then mine. But that is a key element in the fight. You don't want that permafrost destroy early.

Yeah you're right about the submerge occurring away from the permafrost. We started calling the tank to move away from permafrost 10 seconds before submerge (call goes out at 12 secs). This was after we had a couple wipes at around 6 - 7% where he came up through the permafrost right after submerge on melee and took one of them out.

Twice in our around 16 attempts over the past two lockouts he's targeted the same person back to back - that's a wiper....

Getting targeted back to back, I suppose is a 10% chance on 10 man. It does ruin the attempt. A pally bubble (which ever one, I don't know) can alleviate that.

Were you running two or three healers?

We run three healers contrary to all the advice. We find Pally on tank - beacon off tank, holy priest on keeping the groups at 50% or lower and a disc priest dealing with biting cold to just make it cake. Also not panicing helps. The first few attempts is always a shock to a healers system when everybody is taking 20% damage per second. The enrage timer is not an issue as we downed with 5 minutes left to enrage, even with only 5 dps. Of course I was DPS'ing before the first submerge when the healing requirement is light (Only the tank's taking damage and biting cold) and renews would be more then sufficient.

Last edited:
We run 2 healers and are unfortunately heavy on melee for that fight. The fight log is at http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-p12m3fkapyj8nz8b/dashboard/?s=1015&e=1301

Our pally healer is just over the top good but we have a resto druid that imo is so-so. If we had a 10 man HM capable holy priest they and the pally would be our combo. I have 2/2 Improved VE so that contributes to Phase 3 as is evidenced in the logs. Our Shaman is Enhanced/Resto so he is the 3rd healer on Faction Champs and Beasts. If you look carefully you can see him pop out in the last few % to heal the tank - which was the winning move. I was able to refresh the rotation at around 100k left just before the tank went down. Fortunately Fade was up. I didn't have my best dps showing so that made up for it a bit :) Our DK was also up when he went down but died right after from penetrating cold as well.

Yeah you're right about the submerge occurring away from the permafrost. We started calling the tank to move away from permafrost 10 seconds before submerge (call goes out at 12 secs). This was after we had a couple wipes at around 6 - 7% where he came up through the permafrost right after submerge on melee and took one of them out.

Twice in our around 16 attempts over the past two lockouts he's targeted the same person back to back - that's a wiper....

Moving him the right way to avoid the frost when he submerges.....I'm not so good at.....being targeted first as the mt when he submerges...makes for an interesting fight too...never seen that happen before. It is a much more interesting fight on heroic though....and no where near as easy as Avesther's video, but I am determined to make him die on Sunday.

Bumping because I still think is the best strat to start practicing on normal in 10 man normal ToTC because of all the forgiveness normal mode offers.

Bumping because I still think is the best strat to start practicing on normal in 10 man normal ToTC because of all the forgiveness normal mode offers.

/agree - our 10 man team got it with 48 attempts last week.... soooo close to Tribute to Insanity!!! Now we have to focus on ICC so not sure when we'll go back. We also have Firefighter and One Light in the Darkness left from Ulduar.

Back