Anyone familiar with Chicago?

Ember

Mrs. Tek7
Tek and I have been considering a spring break trip to Chicago. I'm having the hardest time choosing between two hotels. We're wanting to walk as much as possible, and I'm not sure which is the best location for this. Can anyone here help

Option 1:
South Michigan avenue, close to the Museum Campus. They have a shuttle to North Michigan Ave. but it only runs 10 am to 5 pm.

Option 2:
In the loop area; closer to Mag Mile, Navy Pier, Art Institute.

We're wanting to go to the stuff at the Museum Campus AND Navy Pier, Hancock Observatory, Museum of Science and Industry, etc.

Any recommendations?? We have to book by tomorrow to get a good deal on an air/hotel package.

Thank ya! :)

Last edited:
I've never been, but my dad has gone quite often on business. I can ask him about it, and I'm sure he'll recommend Ditka's to eat sometime.

I would go with option 2. There is a ton of stuff to do in that area and a lot is also accessible by mass transit.

(my mom used to live in the Chicagoland area and the HQ of my company is based in Skokie)

Gen

My suggestion is to check with CCGR. I am quite sure they live in that area as her hubby takes a train or shuttle or something to work every day.

Blessings,"Angel"

Thanks for all your input. :)

Here's a map if it helps anyone:
overviewmap

A is Option 1 and B is Option 2.

Someone suggested staying closer to O'Hare and using CTA to get to all the touristy stuff. But the hotel would have to be pretty darn cheap to beat the rate I found and be worth the hassle. None of the really cheap hotels have free shuttles to the airport (that I found).

Ahhhh I'm so confused. :p

So the decision between the two hotels was much easier when one became unavailable. :p I think it works out well, though. We'll be staying at Option 2.

I'm very excited! This is kind of our first vacation together. Even our honeymoon didn't seem like much a vacation...Tek was sick the whole time, and, let's face it, there's not much to do at the lake in January.

Yay! :)

/cheer

I'm very excited about our first vacation together, and my first vacation in several years. :)

Have fun....just don't let us know when you are going. Something always seems to go wrong when you post that you are going away. :)

Having just been to Chi-town in September, option 2 was the better choice anyway. You guys should have a blast at Navy Pier, and the view from the Hancock building is breathtaking.

Also, if you like pizza (and who doesn't?), about 2 blocks from the Hancock building is a Giordano's Pizzeria. Best deep dish in Chicago, according to the former residents who we consulted, and the Kickoff family can confirm that it is awesome. Just be sure to order a small, it will be more than enough for both of you.

I can't remember the name of the restauraunt, but I know there's one where they treat you really rudely -- in a funny way. The food's is similar to a Jonny Rockets or A&W, and it's just a fun thing to do. Ask around and I'm sure you'll find the name.

Gino's East also has good pizza as well as Eduardo's.

Plus, if you are up for an adventure, go to Portello's (I think I am spelling it right) for a Chicago style hot dog

I can't remember the name of the restauraunt, but I know there's one where they treat you really rudely -- in a funny way. The food's is similar to a Jonny Rockets or A&W, and it's just a fun thing to do. Ask around and I'm sure you'll find the name.
That's Ed Debevic's. I've been there, but I'd like to go again. It was fun. I like to be catty right back at 'em. :D

I do really want to try a Chicago-style hotdog, too. Ah, I wonder if we'll be able to cram everything into 4 days. :p

Been to Chicago. Some idiot went into a left turn lane and flew into a right turn. Almost crashed into us. Stayed at a shady Holiday Inn where the pool, albeit nice, had so much chlorine in it that my skin burned for three days.

Needless to say, I wasn't in the best part of town... but whatever lol gl with your trip

Back