April 22nd, 2005

.se3ker.

Jesus said, "When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will be filled with power, and you will be witnesses for me."

-Acts 1:8 (TEV)

JAMIE had invited his great-grandmother to play a computer game with him. After some time of fast and furious fun, Jamie needed to go to the bathroom. He got up and ran upstairs. But just as suddenly he came down again, popped his head around the door, and said in a childlike yet unusually stern voice, "Don't touch anything until I come back! Okay?"

In contrast to Jamie's manner, the Bible tells us Christ will return in the same way as he left this earth. But when Christ left the earth he did not say, "Don't touch anything until I come back!" Instead, he instructed his followers to get on with the job. Some of his last words to them were, "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you" (Matt. 28:19-20, NIV). Christ entrusted the gospel of love and grace and forgiveness to human beings -- to us. What a privilege! What a responsibility! Are we getting on with his work?

Maureen Long (Suffolk, England)
Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ, help us to respond to your tremendous faith in us. May we live up to your expectations by carrying on your work until you come back to earth. Amen.
.seek.

Back