B.Net Forums moving to RealID only...goodbye privacy?

The irony is our own terms of service forbids using a false name. I guess we could assume Blizzard would appreciate the same.

TOJ Terms - Members will not impersonate any other person or communicate under a false name that you are not or have not been previously registered as, entitled to use or authorized to use. Members will truthfully represent their identity as themselves both past and present. All members are to have their own accounts and not share it with another person.

Tek is not impersonating anyone else...

I will not and would never allow my real name to be publicly viewable on the Blizzard forums...that is just ridiculous...

As Tek has said...we with names that are extremely rare, and care about our identity, don't want to just be dropping our real names in public online areas...

...those who who care about protecting their online identity...well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcdEojQrIpQ

Last edited:
I wasn't implying anyone breaking terms here. I just think Blizzard has the right to know our real name when we sign up, just like the ToJ requires us to do so as well.

That's all. :)

I wasn't implying anyone breaking terms here. I just think Blizzard has the right to know our real name when we sign up, just like the ToJ requires us to do so as well.

That's all. :)

Yes, but they do not have the right to display those name in an online public place...

Last edited:
TOJ Terms - Members will not impersonate any other person or communicate under a false name that you are not or have not been previously registered as, entitled to use or authorized to use. Members will truthfully represent their identity as themselves both past and present. All members are to have their own accounts and not share it with another person.

Since Tek's false name is the same he's used with his legacy account, it follows our ToS. False names are only against the ToS the first time you used them; after that you're grandfathered in. :p

It is in the battle.net Terms of Use. They desire "accurate and complete" information.

5 B. Establishing an Account.
When creating or updating an Account on the Service, you are required to provide Blizzard with certain personal information such as your name, address, phone number, email address and, in some cases, payment information. An unused Authentication Key provided to you by Blizzard will be required when adding a Game license to an Account. A Game license must be added to an Account before you can play that Game online, where applicable. You agree that you will supply accurate and complete information to Blizzard when requested, and that you will update that information promptly after it changes.

Source: battle.net

Last edited:
The irony is our own terms of service forbids using a false name. I guess we could assume Blizzard would appreciate the same.
Hm. I do need to go back and tweak that paragraph.

As I've stated previously, I don't have any issue with users using a pseudonym to protect their identities. The clause Lloren quoted was added to prevent users from impersonating other users--not to prevent them from registering using aliases.

How can you previously register as someone else? Isn't that registering?
We were also trying to prevent people from registering multiple accounts except where authorized.

Looking back at the Terms of Service, it could use a bit of clarification. It may be a while before I can take a red pen to it, but I'll add it to my task list.

Yeah, I've heard some say that part of the RealID move by Blizzard had to do with a new Korean law moving towards real name as well. It's troubling.

Anonymity can be annoying sometimes due to excessive trolling, but I think there is far more bad than good.

Back