Bangs head on computer repeatedly...

Talori

Yesterday after work as I prepared for my son's slumber party, I logged into my computer to check email, etc. For the third day it asked if I wanted to change my password. Frustrated at the message popping up once again and not really caring, I changed my password. Today I can't for the life of me recall what I changed it too!!! I have been staring at my keyboard and my mind is drawing a blank. Currently I am using the kids to see if there is a way I can overcome my mistake and reaccess my computer... so far I have nothing without administrator powers *sigh*. I really don't want to reformat... as the thought of it gives me a headache.

Please God help me in my "Jr moment" of forgetfulness and let me recall this one simple word that is causing me such frustration at this time *cries*

I know how you can get that password as long as you have another computer. I've done this for my sister a few times.

We have 3 computers, but don't see how that helps my situation. If I had access to the administrative, I would just put my computer back to before I changed the password... but I have no admin abilities without a password. I honestly have no clue what I put in yesterday as I was not really in the right frame of mind to remember anything. I feel quite stupid right now as it has been hours without a clue to what I may have typed in.

Ok, whoever was just praying for my situation, you are an angel! I typed randomly in desperation ... then boom, one of the words was right! So I am back to being able to access my computer fully.

I usually write everything down as I am getting more and more forgetful as I age. I will now be even more careful to write everything down right away so I don't frustrate myself further with my inability to remember things.

bad image error msg?

wow thats kinda an odd predicament, would a system restore be simpler??

Last edited:
i am sure windows would have thought of that if someone wanted to get to your computer. >_>

And system restore will mostlikely NOT change your password, as it is a security hazard.

If you reset the password you lose access to certian files or something like that, but if you get out the password files using knoppix and brute force them using John the Ripper then you can figure out what your old password was and still have access to all those system files.

We have a friend that is in the computer fixing business and my husband had called him and left a message, but we had no idea when he could get to us. He didn't call until last night and was currently working on someone's computer that they had forgotten their password.... Told him to disregard my plea for help, I had figured it out by that time. We had a good laugh about it once he reassured me that it happens to a LOT of people.

At the local Game cafe, all you have to do is type Changepassword. LoL

Can't remember what program it is. Just another one of those that makes sure you don't play longer than you paid...

I know there is a way to do it using a LiveCD, I can't remember the program though. It will let u remove the file the password is stored in, and try to crack it at a different location (like it will let you remove your home password and try to crack it at work or wherever), or it will do it right there. Or you can overwrite it.

Back