Battlegrounds Updates

People talking in those forums are mentioning 40-40 raids and pvp out the wazoo. 40-40 aint didly. I want EPIC pvp. Im talkin 100-100 raids... organized pvp raids. Rogues scouting to see where the enemy is, priests being pritected by Paladins and Warriors, etc etc. Not Priests start attacking the horde and then try to heal when they are being railed against by 5 or 6 horde warriors. Epic pvp is the way to go. But i doubt ill see it in this game. Blizzard has created the classes of WoW so that they can solo and quest easily. This means that the people behind them are more geared into playing as if they are alone and not working too well in the group. I do it with my warlock all the time (soul stones health stones etc.). I wish Blizzard had made the game's classes more reliant on other classes. And i also wanna smack blizz for not making seperate classes for horde and Alliance, and group sizes to 5 max. If Blizz had made the classes more reliant upon other classes, then the people behind the characters would know how to deal with groups far better then most do now.

Last edited:
i agree with my angst ridden friend Odale. PvP should be about the entire community pulling together for something greater than itself. It does make the game go to much greater levels. I know from my own experience in other games. However, Blizzard is trying to pull first person shooter people into this game. So, we have, as Odale put it, classes made for soloing.

However, I do believe that Blizzard has made some excellent cross buffing for groups. I just don't think most players have figured it out. I was healing a couple of guys in SM yesterday and I died. I told them sometime i concentrate so much on healing them that i forget about my health. They were like "woah" a priest that heals! YOu are awsome.

Odale, I do not think it is the game structure, per say. I think it is the gamers. Over time we all we begin to understand and evolve into better groups. Strenght comes in quality groups. You know that from seeing 8 man groups gank 30 people in DAoC. The same will begin to happen here. The BG's are fodder. The great PvP action come in large open field battles.

What will be really cool is when we can take contested towns!! Like when South Shore and Taurens' Mill are availible for us to take. THen if we hold the town log enough special vendors spawn and give rare items or recipes. That would give PvP some real meaning. Or is by taking certain points we get PvP bonuses. Those things will come. They are a part of the PvP fabric and will make their way in some form to WoW.

Take heart young warriors! This game is evolving. I think I forsee good things, because they game is adepting relatively quickly. The largest problem is lag right now. IF they can find a way to defeat that beast then we all will be excited.

Have either of you actually played Battlegrounds? lol - since when is it a bad thing? I think it's awesome!

I never really cared for the pvp in DAOC, it took like forty minutes on my server to find anyone to fight and it usually just turned into a siege where one side would sit inside there keep blasting from the rampart as we had a Ram trying to break down the door for 90 minutes.

I think 100v100 could be interesting if any game today could make an infrastructure that could handle that amount of people. Not just the server but also give tools that allow for quick transmission of locations and having some kind of leadership like a RTS where you can zoom out and see the battle on the hole and give orders.

I actually prefer small pvp to huge battles, it takes a lot more skill to win a 5v5 where each side rushes each other and goes at it, then a huge 40v40 where each side forms a line and hunters and mages take everyone out from range.

I don't think you will ever see 100v100 for one reason: Lag. This game pushes a computer beyond its capacity and it loads up traffic on the internet to a point that ISPs themselves can't keep up.

The experience you are looking for, where people actually play their class to their maximum affect to the benefit of the group, doesn't happen often in pickup groups. Taking Icthus's example, he was playing his character to the benefit of the group, but the rest the group was not necessarily playing to the benefit of the group in that they may have allowed the priest to die (I wasn't there, so I don't know the circumstances). Where was the rogue or warrior to pull agro off Icthus? Honestly, it wasn't until my 50's where I started to see people actually begin to mesh as a group much better. It wasn't until my late 40's that even I came to the realization that I have the toolset to pull agro of any cloth wearer, and as a rogue, my toolset is uniquely geared to do exactly that, even though I may be fighting another mob at the time.

The PvP experience is, unfortunatly, for the most part going to be like a bunch of 12 year olds gearing for power and recognition. But this is not true of all experience. I know that I PvP for victory, not just points. A few days back, Cammandus, SamuraiJ, Young and Myself went to provide some resistance as Nijels point was being hammered. We get there to find a druid, a hunter and two rogues had secured themselves the upper part of the Point including the griffon landing area. So after dieing because we landed, we would always be fighting from a downhill position. Its harder to fight looking up, then it is looking down. After dieing the first two times, we assessed that the druid was our number one concern then the hunter. We tried a few things to see how they reacted, assessed the situation again, and came up with a plan that would seperate the druid from the rest of the group. We put it into action, we took out the druid with no problems, the hunter fell shortly after that, then the two rogues. For the next hour, only Young died once as we successfully defended Nijels Point until they ran away. At one time, they even had help from a second druid, and we did pick up a mid level 40 rogue as well during the battle to help us.

The 10v10 battleground is really going to require alot of teamwork to successfully win it. Not only do you have to protect your own flag, you have to get the other flag to win. I suspect knowing your role in a group is going to help secure a win. And what is nice about teh 10v10 battleground is that it groups with with similiar leveled people (21 to 30, 31 to 40, 41 to 50 and 51 to 60).

Bowser said:
Have either of you actually played Battlegrounds? lol - since when is it a bad thing? I think it's awesome!

I never said Battlegrounds was a Bad thing. I welcome it with open arms. But i just dont feel comfortable with it being like an instance. I know that wow has an unusual amout of lag, and that it has to over come it or alleviate it some how; thats why it is set at a 40 max. I just dont like that.

Plankeye said:
100 vs 100. Overview of the battlefield. Blizzard already made that game. It is called Warcraft 3.

Thats a different gaming genre.

Icthus said:
Odale, I do not think it is the game structure, per say. I think it is the gamers. Over time we all we begin to understand and evolve into better groups. Strenght comes in quality groups.

I thought i said that.

Back