Begat? Yup, a genealogy

Madeline

Matthew 1:1-18

The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. 2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brothers; 3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; 4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; 5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; 6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; 7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; 8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias; 9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias; 10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias; 11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brothers, about the time they were carried away to Babylon: 12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; 13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; 14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; 15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; 16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. 17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon to Christ are fourteen generations. 18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

Now I know a lot of people snooze when they see the "begats" beginning... shoot, not the most interesting read for people of this time. This genealogy was meant for the Jews of the first century to get them to see Jesus' lineage. This was (and still is) very important for Jews - for they put a lot of stock in the family line.

So why does this matter to us now?

Because when we look at it, we can see the stories of the bible written with Christ in mind - that is to say that most of the old testament was about most of these people. We know them now. We know our God now - and we can see where Jesus was coming from. It is amazing to look at a lineage and say to ourselves, "Oh yeah, I remember reading about him, he did so and so" and think about how we are acquainted with these people that God saw fit to show us. So we not only know God and how He interacted with this lineage, but we can see His hand all through this family tree.

How many of us know our own tree and God's hand in it? To be honest, I don't know that many of my family - but my father's side was Ukrainian and came over on the boat (I am second generation American). They were Jewish carpenters and settled in the Baltimore, MD area. I can look at that side and see how I came about. I wish I knew more of them, but I do know snippets here and there, enough to make it interesting to me.

When I became introduced to the bible, I was 39 years old. I could look back on my Jewish heritage and understand it more fully. I am very glad I am Christian now and still praying for my family to be saved. God saw fit to save me, and I am very happy about that - but I want to bring some people with me. :D

Last edited:
Like you I don't know much of my family very far back say past my grandparents but I know that Christ played a big part of thier lives. I too was brought back to God in my late thrities and have always loved getting to know Christ and God even more these last few years.
Mad I know that there isn't a lot of activity here but just wanted you to know that you are doing a TERRIFIC job and that I really appericate what your doing here. Please keep it up the interest will come.

Until you mentioned it here I never really thought about how much we do know about those people that make up the lineage of Christ. I've been listening to the bible which has been a fun way to go through it although not nearly as through as reading and studying it. I've really had my eyes opened to a lot of aspects of God that I never knew existed and for the most part that has been through the records of His interactions with those people mentioned above. I don't know nearly as much about my lineage as some of my other family members do, I didn't grow up around much more then an aunt and some grandparents. In fact, until I started dating Amy I really did not see any significance to family ties, mostly due to past experiences. Once I became involved with Amy I started seeing what an impact true family can have on each individuals life. Now it's become an important part of who I am and it's definitely been a change for the better. Through her family God has taught me many things about being a son, a husband, a father, a brother, a cousin and how each of those aspects is a two way street, influence running both ways.

The more I think about how much my of an impact my surrogate family has had on my life the more I get a glimpse of what lineage and family meant to the Israelites. I mean if family means this much to me know, and I've just begun to appreciate them, how much more it must have meant to those who were raised in these traditions. Then I think about Moses coming down of the mountain and calling on some of them to put their brothers and sisters to the sword. How hard that must have been, how dedicated to God they were in order to carry that out. Yet through all the wars, fighting and disease we still have this unbroken line to Christ. It's just amazing.

Please keep up the good work Mad. I appreciate your efforts even if I don't always have something relevant to say. :D

my favorite begats include something quite special to me, so i'll send you on a quest to see if you can figure out what it is and why!

hints:
Noah
7 less than longest

not that your begats are less important, of course :3

(Noah is still pretty important ;))

Last edited:
So are you talking about Jared the son of Mahalalel who lived for 962 years, just seven years shy of Methuselah who lived 969 years? Or is your favorite Enoch because was taken away by God? Lets see what I do know about you:

You have a thing for cookies.
You play the piano and are in Band.
You were in High School in 2007.
You like the Cowboys, I'm assuming that was a reference to the NFL.
You live in Texas.
You intend to publish a novel.
You are a Tetris fan.
You are not a fan of Hillary.
You are a huge Zelda fan.
Your sister was born on 12/19.
Your mother was born on 12/14.
You were born in April.
And you think that Tuesday is the most packed schedule of the week because everyone assumes that nothing happens on a Tuesday therefore they all schedule stuff for Tuesdays.
You have a drivers license.
When you drive in game you tend to stay between the lanes.
You were/are heavy into Guild Wars.
Did I mention you have a thing for cookies?

But alas, I still have no idea why Enoch would be so special for you, I fail the test. Perhaps another adventurer will shed some light for me.

Not Enoch :3
You figured out who it is before... the reason why: it's another thing you can learn about me
(*cough* name)

Last edited:
Back