Best credit score watching service?

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Hey All,

So about six months ago my backpack was stolen with my laptop, checkbook, and business filing paperwork that had my social security number on it.

I promptly froze my credit with the three agencies and i havent noticed anything whacko or my laptop on craigslist/ebay

I'm currently in the process of selling my house and looking to buy another one, which will mean credit checks and more, so I have to unfreeze my credit.

I was wondering though if anyone could recommend a good credit watching service that is like <$5/mo and does all three agencies......

Thanks!

I'm not sure I can recommend such a service as I am not aware of any. You might want to talk to your bank and see if they can recommend anyone. You can also talk to a mortgage broker. Up here in Canada they tend to have good contacts that are reliable as they rely on each other for referrals.

I would also check with the appropriate government agency in regards to your SSN and how you can mitigate any possible identity theft. You definitely want to prevent that happening as that can make life a nightmare, especially if you are looking to buy a house.

I will keep this in my prayers that you and yours would be protected by those that might use this information to hurt you financially.

My wife and I are going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, and this was one thing he went over. His advice is to watch out most of the companies guaranteeing complete protection, as there cant be, but to check to see what they cover after the fact. Some of the companies out there only offer monitoring, and then you are on your own afterwards to clean it up..

His endorsement is for the Zander Group. They are a little more than $5 a month but cover up to $1million if your identity is stolen, and offers 100% recovery.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

My wife and I are going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, and this was one thing he went over. His advice is to watch out most of the companies guaranteeing complete protection, as there cant be, but to check to see what they cover after the fact. Some of the companies out there only offer monitoring, and then you are on your own afterwards to clean it up..

His endorsement is for the Zander Group. They are a little more than $5 a month but cover up to $1million if your identity is stolen, and offers 100% recovery.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Yeah, I admit at the time when I went through Financial Peace, I didt pay attention as much as I should have. I also believe in mortgages lol

that looks pretty good though. Is there active monitoring or is it pretty helpful associated with it?

The reason I ask this is I do want to be more on top of it than per usual but also if there are blights on my credit report, the reports dont always say where exactly it came from. e.g. I had a medical bill that I didt know I had (typically sent to my parents when i was 18-19), and it went unpaid for two years and messed it up a bit. Took me tons of time to find out which collection agency and hospital that I had to go pay. Would Zander Group on the dashboard be able to help me with stuff like that do you know?

so one thing I remember and i'm tempted to do this again but it was a pain when i did it last year:

The credit score service that you can find through mint.com , if you sign up its suppose to be free but they will charge $10-15/mo for the service. but if you go to cancel, the lady on the phone was willing to do $3.59/mo so that I wouldt cancel....

But it was monitoring all three. I got annoyed with the lady and didt buy in...

Last edited:
Google Calendar works for me.

You can legally check your score for free every year from every credit agency (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax). So you spread them out and check one every 4 months and setup a calendar reminder. Free and you get a check in every 4 months.

I agree, and check yearly, but those tend to be just the reports and not the actual scores :(

I agree, and check yearly, but those tend to be just the reports and not the actual scores :(

Right, but you don't really need a score to check fraud and identify theft. Companies pull your score when they pull credit so I don't know why I would need it.

TARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

/me goes Hulk and throws things

So, in related news, it looks like my wife and I are going to need to get new debit cards. And spend several hours of our free time updating accounts with new payment information because we shopped at Target and paid with a debit card during November.

That's the bad news.

The good news is Target will soon offer free credit monitoring: https://corporate.target.com/discover/article/Target-to-offer-free-credit-monitoring-to-all-gues

/sigh

First Sony and now this. I'm seriously considering storing cash in mason jars under PIN code-locked landmines in my backyard. Seems like it'd be safer, anyway. (Well, until I forget or mistype the PIN.)

Hey I work there how do you think I feel listening to the guests. Lol Of course, I will be honest, as always the news makes it sound way worse than what it is as far as numbers are concerned...our database has over roughly 70 million red-card members/regular shoppers, BUT only a small number of that was effected. Aside from that, they were actually able to identify almost all those who were effected, thus contacting their banks and notifying them. In fact, after all counts were out, our store nor any of our shoppers here were even affected by it. Believe me, I am not trying to make this seem like it is a minor issue, but the news is bugging me to death, with their over exaggerations of most things, as news tends to "Grow". :) PM me if you do have any questions and I will let you know more of the details and what you need to do if anything.

Last edited:
Back