Best webhosting deal

Master~Plan

(not sure if this thread has been done)
Ive been going around and fixing friends computers and stuff and they keep telling me to start advertising and doing it on the side to pay for college. So, I think I"m going to have a swing at it, and see what happens.

So, I'm building a simple web site, informational only, and I want to know if anyone knows of some awsome web hosting deal? so far I found fortunecity.com at about $55 a yr or 4.95/month. 50 mb is more than enough for my simple web site I"m doing. I was also wondering what is the average traffic a website gets? is 8 gb/mo going to be enough? If I get 200 new hits on my site that would be way more than I ever expect. My site will probably be about 15 megs. so if 200 people uploaded my whole site a month that would be 3GB correct?

www.1and1.com

The pacakges are amazing for the specs and price, only down fall is the mysql databases are limited to 100mbs (such as a blog or forums) I have the business pacakage.

the beginner backage comes with 1 domain (you make one), 5gbs of webspace and 250gbs of bandwidth a month.

so if 200 people uploaded my whole site a month that would be 3GB correct?
Yes, and it's probably unlikely that every visitor will download your entire site, so 3 GB is pretty generous.

One thing that I don't see in that hosting package is the ability to run PHP and MySQL. That's something you're going to eventually want if you develop a slightly larger site.

I agree -- I wouldn't go with fortunecity if I were just starting out.

You can contact me for hosting plans, if you'd like. 50 MB of space/8 GB bandwidth will be roughly $7/month (but I doubt you'd need 8 GB), and includes PHP, MySQL, CGI, unlimited domains, subdomains, e-mail boxes, e-mail forwarders and much, much more. I'll also give you a free subdomain (i.e. masterplan.pure-fun.com or masterplan.purefunhosting.com, etc.). Normal domains can be purchased preconfigured for your space for a nominal fee. My e-mail is sirthom [AT] gmail [DOT] com if you'd like more info. =)

Some sites that operate under the server I have hosting with:

www.pure-fun.com
www.purenet.org
www.sirthom.net
www.sirryan.com
www.gameconnection.info

...to name only a few. =)

Last edited:
Talon said:
www.1and1.com
dang, that is amazingly cheap, theres no banners or ads rite?

You can contact me for hosting plans, if you'd like. 50 MB of space/8 GB bandwidth will be roughly $7/month (but I doubt you'd need 8 GB), and includes PHP, MySQL, CGI, unlimited domains, subdomains, e-mail boxes, e-mail forwarders and much, much more. I'll also give you a free subdomain (i.e. masterplan.pure-fun.com or masterplan.purefunhosting.com, etc.). Normal domains can be purchased preconfigured for your space for a nominal fee. My e-mail is sirthom [AT] gmail [DOT] com if you'd like more info. =)
After I build my site(hopefully soon if I don't slack) I might just take you up on that.

Master~Plan said:
dang, that is amazingly cheap, theres no banners or ads rite?

Nope no banners, i choose to put a affialiate banner on my site. I'm currently using about 15gbs of my 20gbs of webspace, and about 50gbs a month out of 1TB, rofl. Only down side to 1and1 is they dont use cpanel, they use a custom panel they made, and that they limit mysql databases to 100mbs. Such as a blog or forums, but otherwise, volume and size is astonishing.

I use 1and1 also. They are one of the leading webhosts out there and their hosting plans and services rock. I pay $4.99/mo and it includes 2 domain names, every feature you can ask for, and more bandwidth and webspace than I'll ever know what to do with.

Plankeye said:
Brinkster is having a good deal right now for signing up for 2 years..

I wish they would stop emailing me every few days it seems like!! I tried to remove myself from their "mailing list", but I can't remember any of my account information. :mad: So I'm probably biased.

I got about half the site done. First thing I do is write up blue prints:
http://www.mcdonline.org/Test/layout.jpg

and heres the website 'template' I made over the past couple days:

http://www.mcdonline.org/Test/index.html

I was originally going to have the empty space all brown, but it was too much brown. What do you think of the light green? would light orange be better, cuz I'm kind of on the verge of going light orange instead...

I'm just one guy doing side jobs, so I haven't really thought of a name for the site/ "business". Anyone got any ideas? Should I go all out with a name/logo, or should i just keep it basic informational?

Back