Bibles...

My main Bible is, as my old college pastor used to call it, the "Nearly Inspired Version". But I have an old Thompson Chain Reference Bible that use when I need a more "authoritative" translation.

I keep The Message Remix on my nightstand for nighttime reading.

For study, we have several different ones... KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV, ESV, CEV... and probably a few I'm missing. Those don't get read as often, they're usually just for comparison or for in-depth study.

I've actually considered getting a Greek/Hebrew Bible and trying to learn the language, "just because". But ultimately, I always go back to The Message.

I have 3 that I use differently. I have a NKJ version because that is the one my pastor uses most, and I like it to match what he reads and such. I have my first Bible, which was a NIV. Finally I have a NAS that I got during college since my professors preferred it for homework and such. Personally, I lean towards the NKJ version, but for no apparent reason.

I read an NLT for personal enrichment -- I find it flows easily and cuts a lot of the 'Christian-ese" out.

For studies, I read an NRSV -- it's a very good sense-for-sense translation.

My main reading Bible is the NKJV.

For study, I have most English translations and paraphrases to look at, both on paper and electronically. I even have some obscure versions that some would not have, like the Williams New Testament. If I am preaching, I have my NKJV in front of me as it usually has the wording I like, but I will have whatever version best expresses the meaning in my notes to be read from.

oh I like the Bible!!!! I'm more with Adam here, my older brother had me read a lot of the Translations when he was at school here just cause he's weird like that and it brought us closer together.

NIV, KJV, NASB, NKJV for starters.... I don't concider the Message a translation but I've read it. my favorite is the NIV which is why I have most of it memorized :)

Okay, first thanks for all the responses. Now here is the secret reason to this thread - :)

I have started a new addon project to have a readable/browseable bible in the game! The intent of the input was to see what translation should I go with first. But, after a bit of research, I am finding all kinds of snags that have to do with copyrights. While, of course, I am not charging for addons, I do not want sometime later someone telling me I have to delete all my hard work because they feel my addon violates their copyright :)

Well, that really only leaves me with one choice, KJV, since there is no copyright issues with this version.

The reason I decided to start this is for a very simple reason. Many of you that know me know that I spend much time in the game grinding rep or materials or something. Usually, since I have two monitors, I either browse the internet or watch TV to lessen the boredom of grinding anything in the game.

The idea then came to me to have an addon in-game that I could select books/chapters verse to read while soloing, and it could automatically advance chapters or randomly pick chapters to read.

So, I ask of you fellow WoW playing Christians, is this something you would like to see/have? If not, it will be my own private little project, but as with all things concerning the Word of God, it is best to share :D

Oh yeah, I already have the KJV all parsed into lua and it is about 6megs in-game for any of those who are curious. Also, just as an fyi, unless you are running a bare-bones computer to play wow, addon memory means nothing significant.

Hey Conner, I think that is an awesome project. I have nothing against the KJV, but if you are looking for other options that avoid the copyright issue, have a peak at the World English Bible.

I've used it a bit (its on my Palm Pilot, because its free :) and its fairly readable, and more along the lines of the NASB (because its based on the old ASV)

http://ebible.org/

Hope you can work out all the snags.

- David - Baraach 67 Human Arms Warrior

What a cool idea! It would be nice to have for those 8 minute griffin rides as well. Throw in audio for an extra bonus. :)

Yes, unless someone wants to code a titanbar plugin for it. It will be a TrinityUI-based addon.

One of the electronic Bible programs I use is E-Sword. If you check out the Bibles that are available for free through them, you may also find other versions without copyright entanglements.

Back