Bill Nye, The Science Guy, Says Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Atheists/agnostics that believe in evolution as the origin of all species don't surprise me, you've got to explain those things somehow if you don't believe in God, but Christian evolutionists perplex me.

Why so quick to disbelieve a literal 6 day creation? Why is Genesis 1 the only passage (that I know of) that is constantly alleged to be metaphorical while others are believed in as literal? Miraculous virgin birth? "Of course I believe in that!" Men coming back from the dead? "You bet that actually happened!" Fire raining down from heaven? "No problem, I can believe that!" Earth created in a 6 day period? "Oh, you see, that's metaphorical."

No one would honestly look at a phrase like "There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day." and see an era rather than a day unless they already had a reason to believe that it was referring to a period of time other than a day. Theistic evolutionists disbelief a literal creation because they already have a vested interest in protecting their worldview. Because a literal 6 day creation conflicts with preexisting concept of how life originated, it is thrown into question. Immediately the fact that the Hebrew word for day can occasionally mean a longer period of time is latched onto. (Why would this be the case if the passage in Genesis specifically clarifies that the days each have a morning and an evening?)

In short, some Christians place "science" above faith, and rather than taking the Bible at its word, you end up starting with Darwinism and trying to fit the Bible into it. This is really just an example of misplaced priorities.

Well, that was slightly off topic. Carry on.

*edit: I feel like this echoes some of what has already been said by others, but I just wanted to add a bit.

Last edited:
The evening and morning thing came to mind in regards to some of the responses in this thread...another one is the fact that man was unique over all creation in that he was created in God's image and God breathed life into him. God didn't do that to any of the animals. I can't imagine God made a piece of sludge in His image and then breathed life into it. There are so many inconsistencies between theistic evolution and what Scripture states that you really cannot reconcile the two without compromising pretty clear truths.

Sarugon said:
... Theistic evolutionists disbelief a literal creation because they already have a vested interest in protecting their worldview. Because a literal 6 day creation conflicts with preexisting concept of how life originated, it is thrown into question....

Everyone can be guilty of this, not just those who have some faith in science.

Back